PDA

View Full Version : Stocking List

Willie_6
12/21/2006, 09:39 PM
I have a 75 gal tank that I will be turning into a reef tank. I have a 25 gal. fuge/sump, HOB Deltec skimmer, RO/DI filterfrom Buckeye Supply. I want to finish adding my fish, before I add corals. Currently I have:

1-Scooter Blenny
1-OcellarisClown
1- Cleaner Shrimp
1- Midas Blenny

I want to add:

1-Foxface
1-Mandarin
1-Hippo Tang

I know Mandarin's like rockwork I have about 100 lbs. My tank has been up for almost 2 years, so it is established.

I know the Hippo will bring some heat on me. I have seen recomendated tank sizes of 70 gal. on live aquaria.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

A.T.DAWG
12/21/2006, 10:12 PM
the scooter blenny is actually a dragonet and will eat copepods which are much needed for the mandarin. with a refugium this might not be a problem but that is something i would look into.
imho a hippo tang that gets a foot in length should not be housed in a 75g.

Willie_6
12/21/2006, 10:35 PM
Did not know that about the scooter. Is there anyway I can increase the number copepods?

The Hippo advice stings a little. Thanks for the input.

petoonia
12/21/2006, 11:27 PM
I would get the foxface or the hippo, not both. Honestly I would just get the foxface, the hippo would be happy for awhile, but then it will outgrow the tank. Have you ever tried to catch a fish out of a reef tank? If you got one or the other then you could add maybe 2 more smaller fish. Like a goby, a wrasse, a basslet, another percula clown to have a pair. I also suggest another cleaner shrimp they seem to be more active in pairs.

Good Luck!!!

Willie_6
12/22/2006, 12:07 AM
Ok, I see where this is going. The Hippo is not going to be a popular choice. What about if I substitute the Hippo for and Atlantic Blue, Blond Naso Tang or a Naso Tang? They all are rated for a 75 gal. tank.

t5Nitro
12/22/2006, 07:07 AM
I think naso tangs get even larger than hippo tangs.
If you want a tang for your tank, go for a zebrasoma type i.e. yellow, purple, black. Not the sailfin as they get 16 inches I think. The yellow or black tang is the best of the 3 others listed, yellow is best for cost wise. Good luck! :D

nwrogers
12/22/2006, 09:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8806094#post8806094 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Willie_6
Ok, I see where this is going. The Hippo is not going to be a popular choice. What about if I substitute the Hippo for and Atlantic Blue, Blond Naso Tang or a Naso Tang? They all are rated for a 75 gal. tank.

Haha! NO!!! Naso Tangs get huge!!!!!!! Look at the size of the fish and you will know if it will get too big. Nasos get 1.5 feet! It wouldn’t even be able to turn around in a 75 gallon. You need a 225 gallon tank minimum for a naso tang IMO. If you REALLY need to buy a tang either get a Yellow Tang - Hawaii (Zebrasoma flavescens), a Kole Yellow Eye Tang (Ctenochaetus strigosus), or a Bristletooth Tomini Tang (Ctenochaetus tominiensis). Good luck and no hippos, Atlantic Blues, or nasos ;)

hgbarwick
12/22/2006, 02:45 PM
koles, tominis, and yellow tangs would be the only tangs that are probably suited for a 75.

fishyz
12/22/2006, 11:01 PM
I'm going to be setting up a 90g FOWLR tank and I was wondering what tang I should put in it. I really love kole, regal, yellow, and atlantic blue tang's and I was wondering which one would be the best for a 90g. Thanks

wrasseguy2
12/22/2006, 11:09 PM
i would go with the yellow or kole...the regal would out grow that tank pretty quick

fishyz
12/22/2006, 11:14 PM
What about the atlantic blue tang?

Jerry W
12/22/2006, 11:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8812768#post8812768 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishyz
What about the atlantic blue tang?

These grow quite large and need a lot of space. I wouldn't.

fishyz
12/23/2006, 12:32 AM
ya, I wasn't to sure, but I'm pretty sure i'll go with a kole tang. I want to do a more community tank, rather than an aggressive tank. What other "larger" fish could I put along with a kole tang? I was thinking maybe an anthias or a type of butterfly.

fishyz
12/23/2006, 12:32 AM
I'd also like to do a pair of maroon clowns.

hgbarwick
12/23/2006, 03:29 PM
after the kole I would not add another larg fish. The maroons will also get agressive for a peaceful tank. Maybe do a midas blenny or some type of blenny.