PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Tank - Question

dannable
12/22/2006, 08:39 AM
I am upgrading my tank from a 35fowlr to a 75fowlr.

Would it be possible to put the contents of my 35 Gallon FOWL in a rubbermaid for a few days? I only have 35lbs of live rock, arogonite substrate, one chromis and a cleaner shrimp. Naturally I would run the powerhead and heater. I am just wondering if the plastic would be toxic.

In addition, would adding new arogonite cause a cycle? I will need to add another 30lb bag.

papagimp
12/22/2006, 09:11 AM
the rubbermaid bin won't hurt em, lot's o' reefers use them as sumps. When you add the other bag, you can do it slowly a few cups at a time to prevent any cycle, but i think if you dumped the new in their first and layered the old on top you should be fine. may get a small cycle though. Might wanna test for several days before introducing the livestock back to the new tank.

dannable
12/22/2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks Adam,

Adding it slowly is my plan. Don't want to create another cycle.

papagimp
12/22/2006, 09:27 AM
When you remove all the current sand in your tank, this will in all likelyhood create high nitrates and possibly even some nitrites. I've seen this whenever swapping sand around, a bag of new live sand may help to curb this to some extent though. After thinking on it some, you probably will create anothe cycle, even if just a small one, but shouldn't last but a few days I'd imagine.

AndyB4784
12/22/2006, 10:37 AM
why would adding new sand cause a cycle. if anyting you are going to get some nastiness from the portions of your LR that was under the sand. not from adding the new sand.

BurntOutReefer
12/22/2006, 10:46 AM
What happens is
1)that you will free up any nitrate that was in your sandbed (awaiting to be turned into gas). That will get in you water column in the new tank. (Water changes will take care of that).

2) You have also increased now the area available for bacteria to grow. you will see a mini-cycle.....how big is the question.

danch
12/22/2006, 10:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8808112#post8808112 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BurntOutReefer
What happens is
1)that you will free up any nitrate that was in your sandbed (awaiting to be turned into gas). That will get in you water column in the new tank. (Water changes will take care of that).

Sure, but that doesn't involve the new sand - that'll happen any time you make a major disturbance to the rock or substrate, won't it?

2) You have also increased now the area available for bacteria to grow. you will see a mini-cycle.....how big is the question.

I don't understand why giving the bacteria more habitate would trigger a cycle. A cycle is caused by some source of nitrogeneous compounds in excess of the current denitrating capacity, right? Like a die-off or the introduction of a lot of bioload? I can see why putting new live sand would trigger a bit of a cycle (die off, because bagged live sand ain't so live), but not plain dead dry sand. Something I'm missing?

thanks for the education!

BurntOutReefer
12/22/2006, 11:15 AM
adjustment through growth

BurntOutReefer
12/22/2006, 11:25 AM
ohh...ok then.
Because you've increased your aerobic and anaerobic are(increased sand bed area). If you are really into it, there is some great reading around (both here on this forum and on the net)on the Nitrogen Cycle
Again, like I said, how big cycle?

BurntOutReefer
12/22/2006, 11:29 AM
Nice basic reading here:

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/articles/2002/nitrogencycle.html

BadOleRoss
12/22/2006, 01:56 PM
If I am understanding this right....adding new sand and only new sand is no big deal and wil not cause a cycle. However, if you want to reuse the old sand it is best to add it to the tank in small amouts to avoid a large cycle or ammonia/nitrate/nitrite spike.