PDA

View Full Version : Help with water parameters

Rpierce
12/22/2006, 06:43 PM
I am trying to get my water parameters correct. I am trying to use get the parameters correct so I can start dosing Randy's 2 part, recipe 1.

Anyway, here are my parameters:

PH 8.1
KH 5 I can't this to go up
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
PO4 0
CA 440

Mag ?

I don't have a magnesium test kit. Could this be the problem?

I have a well stocked 120 gallon SPS tank with a 40 gallon sump.

Please let me know what I can do to get the KH up. I have tried the Reef Chemistry Calculator and their recommendations didn't work.

Pleas HELP!

Rick

Paintbug
12/22/2006, 08:47 PM
if your alk is 5 dKH, then yes it needs to go up. i try to keep my tank around 10 dKH. if you have Randy's recipe ready to go. then just add the alk part(baking soda) and it will raise your alk levels. once the calc starts dropping add the calc part.

bertoni
12/22/2006, 11:30 PM
How did you add alkalinity, and when did you do the measurements? It's possible that low magnesium would prevent you from raising alkalinity, but that's uncommon. I think a Mg test kit is a good investment.

Rpierce
12/23/2006, 04:17 PM
I tried to use the Alk part of Randy formula before. Maybe, I didn't make it correctly. I made another batch last night. I will dose for the next couple of days to try to get it up. We'll see with this batch.

RIck

Paintbug
12/24/2006, 11:14 AM
as long as you used baking soda, and in your case baked it per the recipe, then you cant really mess it up. how much did you dose? and im assuming its the 125g in your sig?