PDA

View Full Version : RIP: coral banded shrimp

kelrn98
12/22/2006, 10:16 PM
I have been keeping a coral banded shrimp in my sump because I feared he'd eat my other shrimp. Somehow he had made his way through baffles to the area of sump where the return pump is. I was attempting to capture him and put him back where he belonged and knocked the foam wedge covering off the intake of the return pump and he got sucked in immediately. I looked to see if his remnants came out the return lines, did not see anything. So my guess is he got chopped up.:( My question is, without removing his remains, how will this affect the ammonia, etc in my 110g with 30g sump. Has been set up for nearly 9 weeks with current parameters of ammonia 0, nitrite/nitrate 0, phos 0, ph 8.3, temp 80. It would be very difficult to remove lines to check for his remains.

lessthanlights
12/22/2006, 10:31 PM
I would imagine very little in such a large tank- if you have a sufficient clean-up crew there should be nothing left in a day or two.

jjmg
12/22/2006, 10:42 PM
I doubt that his remains would cause any more damage then he would have. I have a pair of coral banded, a pair of blood red fire shrimp and a pepermint shrimp. So what was yours sent to the sump for eating?

kelrn98
12/23/2006, 12:29 AM
He had not eaten anything. I read that they will eat other shrimp, so I opted to put him in the sump when he arrived with a clean up package.

ManotheSea
12/23/2006, 07:23 AM
It wont affect your water quality at all. One shrimp will not upset any balance. If the tank was healthy to begin with, then it can handle small dies offs with no impact. I would worry about the shell parts getting stuck in the pump. After a while they will build up crud and reduce the pump output.

IPowderBlueTang
12/23/2006, 10:48 AM
Very little impact to none in that size of tank. I had small fish get sick and disappear and made no difference in my parameters in my 120 gal!