PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of my plumbing plan?

jdircksen
12/23/2006, 10:36 AM
This is a 75g with 30g sump. I'm thinking 1" for the draining pipes and 3/4" for the return. Pump will probably be a Sedra 9000. Should I change anything?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/89078jdpumbing.JPG

msuzuki126
12/23/2006, 11:44 AM
Looks great. Pretty much the same as mine and many others on here.

Avast Marine
12/23/2006, 11:46 AM
If it were me I would switch to 1 1/2" plumbing and use 1 drain and the other for a emergency drain. At the very least don't tie your drain lines together if you opt out of a emergency drain. Like this you only need one snail to cause a wet floor. Remember as well to size your bulkheads one size up for a durso. So 1 1/2" bulheads will let you run a 1 1/4" standpipe.

jdircksen
12/23/2006, 11:58 AM
Well the sucky part is that I have already purchased a 45mm (1 3/4") diamond tipped hole saw to use with 1" bulkheads. I didn't know about sizing up the standpipes. I'll have to do some more research before I drill. I may go without the dorsos and see if I have a noise problem.

Thanks for the info. Keep it coming!

Avast Marine
12/23/2006, 12:14 PM
Thats not too sucky, just buy the right size now that you know. A few dollars wasted at this stage of the game is fine but, if you drill too small you will regret it later and not be left with many options.

jdircksen
12/23/2006, 12:52 PM
Dan,
I am doing some reading on http://www.dursostandpipes.com/. It seems they recommend sizing the standpipe up from the bulkhead, not the other way around as you suggested.

My tank has a 1 inch bulkhead on the bottom glass where the water drains out. For this size hole, I recommend you use 1¼ inch PVC for the standpipe. I do not recommend 1½ inch PVC as the larger fittings are much harder to fit inside overflow chambers. And secondly, there is no advantage in 1½ inch over 1¼ inch PVC when dealing with a 1 inch bulkhead -- the bulkhead is the limiting factor.

If you have a 1 inch bulkhead the standpipe needs to be larger than the bulkhead to work correctly. I get a lot of e-mail questions on why this is. Honestly, I'm not sure. Typically if you use 1 inch PVC pipe on a 1 inch bulkhead you get poor results. (Some exceptions with smaller low flow tanks.) Take my word on it and use 1¼ inch PVC pipe.

Do you think this is because the tank they are installing the standpipe in has the bulkhead on the bottom glass?

Avast Marine
12/23/2006, 01:14 PM
I still would like a bigger hole or a backup drain if it were my tank

Avast Marine
12/23/2006, 01:18 PM
Yep, I had it backwards. 1 1/4" pipe needs 1" bulkhead. I like the herbie method so don't use dursos.

kgross
12/23/2006, 03:33 PM
The other thing besides tying your drains together, is the size of your return. Using a 3/4 inch return with a sedra 9000 will restrict the output. Change your return to at least 1 inch if not 1 1/4 so you can get close to the full 900 gph out of the pump. With your 3/4 inch line I would guess you will only get around 500 gph out of that pump.

Kim

jdircksen
12/23/2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the input. I didn't actually look at the specs on the Sedra 9000 but I was told it had a 3/4" output. My thinking is that if I have 3/4" return line and 1" drain, I would never be faced with the pump returning water faster than it could drain. I'll do some research on the return line. Thanks.