PDA

View Full Version : saving Sick/receding corals

addicted_2_reef
12/23/2006, 11:12 AM
My LFS has a large section of "Sale" corals. Most have some sort of receding to them. They don't look sick no spots or fungus just in various stages of receding. I've been thinking that is from lack of proper lighting and husbandry. but, I'm wondering if I should take the chance and try and save them. The saving isn't huge but, it makes it tempting. Has anyone else done this?

splateee
12/23/2006, 11:20 AM
THe LFS store i go to has a tank that usually has frags or corals that are receding/ not good extension. I got a Candy cane that had alot of algae growing on the stem. It is now doing pretty good. Alot of LFS don't have proper lighting for corals and this usually causes the coral to not fully extend. I would give it a shot if the corals look to be in good overall health.

SDguy
12/23/2006, 11:23 AM
I have done this with success and failure. If your tank is doing well, and everything is growing, especially if you have the same kinds of corals as you wish to purchase, I'd say sure, give it a try. Favia, SPS, branching LPS are good choices. Stay away from wall LPS, zoas with fungus, goniopora, elegence, severely RTN/STN SPS, melting mushrooms.

buy one, see how things go.

hth

reefshadow
12/23/2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah, you could probably make some good saves. I would be sure not to shock an ailing coral with too much light.

That being said, make absolutely sure they aren't sick because of a pathogen or a predator. [AEFW, zoa nudis, monti nudis, red bugs, protozoal infections, fungus, ect...]

SDguy
12/23/2006, 12:06 PM
I would also do prophylactic dips on anything that can tolerate them (fresh water, iodine, FWE, whatever).

addicted_2_reef
12/23/2006, 12:18 PM
I want to get a couple of thinks for Xmas so, I'm going to give a shot. I'll let you know the whats and hows later.

addicted_2_reef
12/23/2006, 05:40 PM
that's THINGS ..not thinks

addicted_2_reef
12/23/2006, 05:52 PM
I picked up a Pagoda Coral that I've been watching for 4 months now. It receded about 1/2 inch. I hadn't been the the store in a couple weeks when I showed up today it has some growth on the bare spot and was opened real nice so, I picked it up! It was 89.00 and I got it for 39.00.

SDguy
12/23/2006, 06:57 PM
Cool! It should be fine. Biggest problem would be nuisance algae colonizing exposed skeleton. Make sure that doesn't happen before new tissue grows in, and you'll be fine.