PDA

View Full Version : Polyp extension on a, "monti"??????

spankey
12/24/2006, 06:24 AM
Can anyone help me out here? I have a two year old reef tank that is "knock knock" doing great! It is mostly SPS and the corals get great growth. Now my Millies all show PE during the day, my digi's and other monti's show great PE during the day. The thing is I have had a Superman for about 3 months now and for some reason the polyps don't extend fully like my confusa and caps. And yes, I get sick PE even on my caps, go figure.

Before anyone starts on a red bug rampage, don't. I get FULL PE at night. I get it so badly that the polyps look like they are falling out the coral! I think my coral beauty must nip the bases and such for algae during the day. Like I said, other corals show PE at daytime. My slimmer shows mid pe, my chips acro looks fuzzy.

So last night I decide to turn on the lights after they have been off for about an hour and look at my superman and you guessed it, full PE???? Is this normal? I have the coral about 6 inches from the top of the tank, and its in some flow. Should I move it to the bottom of the tank. I mean I can't think its the flow or such. I am either gaming on the light or the fish during the day.

Anyone have any info? Suggestions....

Thank you!
Spankey

spankey
12/25/2006, 06:57 AM
Anyone? I am really thinking my coral beauty is nipping at my corals. I think this is what is doing this... ANyone else comment?

Spankey

Neptune777
12/25/2006, 08:55 AM
FYI.....red bugs are Acro parasites only.

I find that my Mg levels have an influence on PE (i.e. low Mg = little PE). But since all your other caps and acros have great PE I wouldn't sweat it. Supermans don't have "huge" polyps anyway.

Try putting it midway down in the tank....it might be getting blasted by too much light where it is and doesn't extend the p's fully....until lights out.

Merry Christmas!

deep6er
12/25/2006, 02:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8823994#post8823994 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Neptune777
FYI.....red bugs are Acro parasites only.

Merry Christmas!
not sure if you have read this yet but eric borneman thinks otherwise.
http://www.ericborneman.com/Tegastes-content/Research.html
but spankey just to let you know all my corals seem to be growing great and i have everything from Acros to encrusting montipora. Some of the polyps are out during the day but they all come out at night. I do have a Elibi angel that has nipped at some of my sps but has not killed one yet maybe that is why my all the polyps are not out during the day. And I know I dont have red bugs. hmmmm. maybe i should remove him. maybe you should too. It wont hurt to try.

ReefWreak
12/25/2006, 02:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8825050#post8825050 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by deep6er
not sure if you have read this yet but eric borneman thinks otherwise.
http://www.ericborneman.com/Tegastes-content/Research.html
but spankey just to let you know all my corals seem to be growing great and i have everything from Acros to encrusting montipora. Some of the polyps are out during the day but they all come out at night. I do have a Elibi angel that has nipped at some of my sps but has not killed one yet maybe that is why my all the polyps are not out during the day. And I know I dont have red bugs. hmmmm. maybe i should remove him. maybe you should too. It wont hurt to try.

From the article:
I repeated the test using covered dishes as desribed above offering fifteen copepods four alternate coral species “ Montipora digitata, a foliose Montipora species, Pocillopora damicornis, and Pavona varians. No copepod would host on the other species, even after prompting with a pipette.

I have removed copepods and offered them five other species of coral to host upon, including Pocillopora damicornis, Pocillopora verrucosa, Pavona varians, Montipora digitata, and a foliose Montipora species. They will not naturally move onto these corals, even when in small water volumes, or even when intentionally pushed onto the surface with a probe.

no redbugs on montis.

MammothReefer
12/25/2006, 02:36 PM
my sunset monti has (er had have to fix some somethings) Great PE.

spankey
12/25/2006, 03:27 PM
I would almost to none have to wait for it to die:( Even though I wouldn't want to see that. I could never catch that fish with all the rock and coral in the tank. So for now I have to live with it. Arggggg... Never again though. Coral Beauty that is. Nope Nope Nope.....

:)

Big Boy69
12/25/2006, 03:47 PM
Do you ever see your beauty nip it?
I have a beauty and lamark angel in my tank and I've never seen them go after any of my Stonies.
The piece I got from you has decent PE, nothing crazy. I actually just moved it higher in the tank, but less flow. I'll see how it looks in a couple of days and possibly move it again.

spankey
12/25/2006, 03:54 PM
I have never seen her nip, but know she swims around the corals so fast I think she disturbes them. I also see her nibble on the base of the corals were they are encrusted to the rock. I am sure she is hunting for algae and not hitting the corals.

Any rate who knows. I know I sure don't. I do know that for about 3 months I had almost no polyp extension on digi's and now they look hariy? Go figure? I have no idea what changed that, but they are happy now, then they weren't....

Weird.....

Big Boy69
12/25/2006, 04:05 PM
You're weird.

lbaskball45
12/25/2006, 04:07 PM
lol

spankey
12/25/2006, 04:16 PM
Take it back! I'm telling!!!! You reef monkey! I bet your typing right now with one hand while the other is in the tank you scuba nut you!

Big Boy69
12/25/2006, 04:18 PM
I did do some swimming in the tank today inbetween visiting. Leaving for my sister-in-laws in a couple minutes for B-Day parties.

Neptune777
12/25/2006, 04:21 PM
deep6er.....huh? Did you and I read the same article? Redbugs=Acropora Parasites

Merry Christmas

spankey
12/25/2006, 04:22 PM
Take a fish with you bro. Kids always like fish in a bag. Didn't you see Finding Nemo? You don't happen to have a neice named "darla" do ya???LOL MUHAAAAA

deep6er
12/26/2006, 12:32 AM
Yes Neptune777 i did read it.
here is a quote from it:
Species with large or "hairy" polyps - eg. A. millepora - seem to be quite resistant, although I have received two reports of them hosting on these types. I suspect that the coral consumes the bugs with nematocysts in these species before they can establish and colonize, or they are just a less preferable host.

I just wanted to point out that acording to E.B he has received reports of red bugs on other corals such as Millepora.
But I dont think he has RB on his superman

Neptune777
12/26/2006, 06:54 AM
Milli's are a species of Acropora ;)

I think you are mixing Monti's with Milli's.......they are entirely different.

deep6er
12/26/2006, 11:54 AM
ahhhh. see i just did some searching and i always thought that millepora was from the class hydrozoa "hydrocorals" and when people referd to milli's i always thought it was a type of fire coral. I did not know there was a Acropora millepora. This makes more sence now.

sorry im an idiot im still learning

Neptune777
12/26/2006, 02:40 PM
No problem....we are all still learning!