PDA

View Full Version : help me please with my milwaukee controller???

Hendersonracing
12/24/2006, 02:54 PM
I have my calcium reactor(mrc) running...but cant grasp the idea of the controller.....I have it hooked up right but how do I set my controller and where do I put my probe???my tank ph runs 8.3 does this reflect the setting on the controller? OR would I put the probe where the water out of the reactor hits it before it goes into the tank water??? also o how do I know If its calibrated right...I bought it used from another rc member???

this is all Im waiting on to get my reactor running>>>>

bstone
12/24/2006, 03:01 PM
If you are using the pH controller to control your CO2 for the calcium reactor, then you need to put the probe in the calcium reactor or in the effluent of the reactor water. If you can't put it in the calcium reactor, then put the effluent of the calcium reactor in a cup and put the probe in the cup. The water will just overflow the cup into your tank. If you are using shuran media then put the setpoint at 6.5, little black dial. Make sure you calibrate the probe first. The meter should of came with a calibration solution, this can be done with the small screw driver they give you and the small screw on the controller. If you do not have any calibration solutoin then if you KNOW that your tank is at 8.3 then set the controller to that calibration when the probe is in the tank water. The controller will turn the CO2 on until it driops the pH to 6.5.

Hendersonracing
12/24/2006, 03:30 PM
I have a ph monitor its 8.2-8.3 what do I set the ph controller to? 8.3 also then when the ph in the main tank drops below 8.3 the co2 will come on??? when the ph hits 8.3 the co2 will shut off???

bstone
12/24/2006, 03:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8821419#post8821419 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hendersonracing
I have a ph monitor its 8.2-8.3 what do I set the ph controller to? 8.3 also then when the ph in the main tank drops below 8.3 the co2 will come on??? when the ph hits 8.3 the co2 will shut off???

NO. put the pH controller probe in the tank and see if it reads the same as the pH monitor. If it does then you are good to go. Next put the effluent of the calcium reactor water in a cup and put the pH controller probe in the cup. The water will just overflow the cup into your tank. This way the probe will be sumerged in water. Then set your pH controller to 6.5, again the pH probe is in the effluent of the calcium reactor water. Therefore, when the pH increases above 6.5 the CO2 will turn on. But, if you are using the small media, not shuran or gen-x, then set the pH to about 6.8. The pH controller/CO2/Calcium reactor is not controlled by the tanks pH. The amount of CO2 is controlled by the calcium reactors pH level.

AZDesertRat
12/24/2006, 04:13 PM
I hve my reactor effluent drip into a Lee's specimen container that is hanging inside the sump and have the probe immersed in the container. The pH monitor comes on at 6.9 and goes of at 6.7.

Hendersonracing
12/24/2006, 04:23 PM
ok Whwn I first got the controller I put the probe in the tank and it read 8.8 and my ph monitor read 8.3?? so I turned the level on the left that says calibrate to 8.3 to match the ph monitor???(right or wrong??) ok If the ph of the monitor reads the ph of the tank than it should be calibrated right???? then I put a small overflow in my sump and take the probe out of the tank and put it in the overflow...at that time it will read the effluent(water coming out of the reactor) that should read about 6.6-6.7.. when my effluent drops(say below 6.7 if I set the controller at that) the co2 will turn on causing the ph of the effluent to rise...If I set my controller at 6.7 and the effluent ph reads 6.6 it will rise when the co2 comes on and the co2 will shut off at 6.7????ummm sorry trying not to confuse everyone but I hope Im right>>>>then what should I set my bubble count to and flow out of the reactor??? it has an adjustable level on top for more or less flow????I understand the more flow the less ph increase and the less flow the more ph increase....also the more co2 bubbles the more ph and less bubbles the less ph increase!

AZDesertRat
12/24/2006, 04:27 PM
Milwaukee makes two different versions of the controller, sounds like you may have the reverse version. M ine is set to come on when pH gets high and shut off when pH gets low and it is the normal version.

Hendersonracing
12/24/2006, 04:35 PM
here is mine

CONTROLLERS

SMS122

Specifications: Range 0.0 - 14.0 pH
Resolution 0.1 pH
Accuracy ± 0.2 pH
Calibration Manual 2 points
Set point range 5.5 - 9.5 pH
Alarm Active when reading is higher than
set point
Dosing contact 1 power plug for CO2 dosing
Power supply 12 VDC adapter
Electrode MA911B/2
Dimensions 80 x 145 x 35 mm

Professional pH/CO2 controller especcially designed for
use in aquariums

Manual 2 points calibration
Visual LED alarm
Works with 12 VDC adapter
Power plug for CO2 dosing
Double junction pH electrode (BNC connector)
BACK

Hendersonracing
12/24/2006, 04:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8821656#post8821656 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
Milwaukee makes two different versions of the controller, sounds like you may have the reverse version. M ine is set to come on when pH gets high and shut off when pH gets low and it is the normal version.

you would still set it at say 6.7 with either version right??

bstone
12/24/2006, 04:47 PM
Your CO2 will turn on when the pH is higher then the setpoint. Set the pH controller to 6.8, and when the water from the Calcium reactor gets above 6.8, then the CO2 will turn on decreasing your calcium reator pH. Set the buble counter on the calcium reactor isn't very important when you have a pH controller. Just set the bubble count so that it isn't on too long when the controller turns it on, and don't turn it up too high or it will over shoot the pH in the calcium reactor. Once you have done this then set the effluent flow of the calcium reactor when you have acheived your desiered tank alkalinity. Once you have acheived your desired tank alkalinity you should be good to go.

Hendersonracing
12/24/2006, 05:30 PM
ok good...how clean does the arm media need to be??? I have used media in there .....I took it out and soaking in ro water...and then Ill soak it in seawater(told to me from a member) I bought the reactor used and it was in the reactor whn I got it...will the white stuff from the media hurt the tank???

Hendersonracing
12/24/2006, 10:14 PM
//

Hendersonracing
12/27/2006, 08:28 AM
Ok getting ready to set up my controller......do I just turn the ph setting knob to 6.7 ???is there any other buttons or settings on it???

AZDesertRat
12/27/2006, 09:53 AM
Nope thats it. It should come on around 6.9 and go off at 6.7. When I add media or clean my reactor out I don't rinse the media out, it will produce some milky looking water for a littl bit but it soon clears up.

Hendersonracing
12/27/2006, 10:27 AM
ok good...where is 6.7 or do I guess....it goes from like 6.0 to 7.5 do I just get close? or would I listen to the co2 cutting off when the ph lowers?

AZDesertRat
12/27/2006, 10:39 AM
Get it close on the dial, immerse the probe in the effluent and then see where it kicks in and out at, adjust accordingly.

Hendersonracing
12/27/2006, 11:38 AM
I put the probe in the arm media in seawater in the bucket it read 7.8-7.9? or are you talking when the c02 is on? the water coming out then?

Hendersonracing
12/27/2006, 03:21 PM
bump?

AZDesertRat
12/29/2006, 01:25 PM
The CO2 has to be bubbling into the reactor chamber to lower the pH.

Hendersonracing
12/30/2006, 09:28 AM
ok everything good waiting on a new regulator the one I got was bad!

Hendersonracing
12/30/2006, 09:28 AM
ok everything good waiting on a new regulator the one I got was bad!

SuperNerd
01/01/2007, 03:23 AM
What was wrong with the regulator?

Hendersonracing
01/01/2007, 11:43 AM
it was leaking air around the guage.