PDA

View Full Version : Couple of ?'s

drillsar
12/25/2006, 09:30 AM
First of for christmas I received a Yellow Tang, I have a 55GAL Tank is he ok? I have lots of Rock.

My Bubble Coral seems to do this; It looks like Polyps disappear then they reappear is this part of reproduction or something I should be worried about?

Im thinking of getting a 75 Gal tank would it be worth it to get Overflow built in or not?

artman18944
12/25/2006, 09:51 AM
congrats on the YT they are great fish. i have read that juvenile specimens are perfectly fine in 4 foot tank. on rc the concensus seems to be 75g min. just take good care of him making sure he gets plenty of veggies as these fish are constantly grazing. also if can remove some rock to give him more swimming space. the bubble coral sounds like it is acting normally. just make sure you keep an eye out for any receding or sloughing of tissue. i think external overflows are the way to go, they are quieter and leave more space in the tank for livestock

Drew Reed
12/25/2006, 09:54 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8824086#post8824086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drillsar
First of for christmas I received a Yellow Tang, I have a 55GAL Tank is he ok? I have lots of Rock.

My Bubble Coral seems to do this; It looks like Polyps disappear then they reappear is this part of reproduction or something I should be worried about?

Im thinking of getting a 75 Gal tank would it be worth it to get Overflow built in or not?

(1) Some people would say no, and some yes. Would I? no.

(2) Almost all corals will do something like that, no it should not be a problem.

(3) I'll leave that to someone else. :D

drillsar
12/25/2006, 10:27 AM
Ok what kind of veggies you suggest?

Drew Reed
12/25/2006, 10:35 AM
Flake, frozen cubes of Formula two and fueru wakame is plenty enough.

graveyardworm
12/25/2006, 11:01 AM
Dried Nori sheets are good too, and are found at most LFS.

drillsar
12/25/2006, 11:20 AM
Im using right noow Spirulina Flake food is this ok?

Wrench
12/25/2006, 11:45 AM
Upgrading a tank is all up to you. Bigger is better with saltwater IMO. My next tank will have a built in overflow. I wanted it on my current tank but they don't come on the smaller tanks (mine is only 45g.).

You may want to supplement the Spirulina with some other foods. Hang some fresh leaf veggies in the tank or a sheet of Nori a few times a week. What else is in the tank? A frozen meal once or twice a week might not hurt if you've got some omnivorous fish or scavenging inverts.

drillsar
12/25/2006, 11:49 AM
Fresh Leaf Veggies like Lettuce?

Wrench
12/25/2006, 12:46 PM
More like spinach and kale. They are more nutritious. Plain lettuce is of no benefit.