PDA

View Full Version : Need some power compact SPS advice? Actinic washing out colors......

spankey
12/25/2006, 03:50 PM
I have a 46g bowfront packed with sps. I run for main lighting two 150w 14k HQI Phoenix bulbs. For supliment I have a 96w single power compact fixture tilted in front of the tank. Two things this is good for, one adding more light, but two keeping the bright halides out of your eyes in the living room. The glare from the bulbs can be blinding and it can be bad if you are laying on the sofa watching TV. You get smacked in the side of the face with the lighting. Any rate, right now there is a current 96w pc actinic in the fixture now. Even though it makes certain colors pop, it completly washes out others. With just the halides on, the tank looks 100% incredible and natural colors flow. With the pc fixture on with the bulb it has now its way to intense.

Can anyone suggest a great even all around bulb to run in the fixture that won't wash out the corals colors? I was thinking instead of running a complete actinic, going 50/50 and was leaning twards a coralife 50/50 bulb......

Anyone have any suggestions? The reason why I was running an actinic is because it comes on an two hours before the halides and is on two hours after they go out. I can change that, but think a nice 50/50 with this schedule will be ok to leave the way it is. Agree?

Any rate, can anyone offer me some advice and possibly share some pics of your mixed lighted tanks? Halide and compact combined? Also let me know what bulbs you run in the mix too.

Thanks
Spankey:)