PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get ph up, how fast can i do it?

waverz
12/25/2006, 06:35 PM
My pH has been 7.8-8 and 7.8-7.6 at night. I recently added a kalkdoser ans have been raising the pH over the last few days. I would like to get it to around 8.4, my question is how fast can i do that without burning stuff up? Ive gone from 7.8- 8.2 over the last 4 days without too much of an effect. My purple digitata browned up a little and i had some blue tort lighten up some other than that nothing major.

bertoni
12/25/2006, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't worry about moving it from 8.2 to 8.4 over a day, or even less. The alkalinity and calcium might be an issue, though.

waverz
12/25/2006, 10:14 PM
My Alk is usually around 8.5 dKH, and Calcium is usually 480ppm, my Magnesium is at 1350.

I think i found the reason for my low ph, i just checked the pH of my water change water which i have heated adn circualting with a pump, turns out its ph was 7.8. Im wondering if because it is in a covered container that CO2 is building up and causing the ph to be low in the barrel. I am trying to aerate the water to see if the ph comes back up. If not should i add some pickling lime until it matches my tank water?

bertoni
12/25/2006, 11:43 PM
If you're doing small water changes, I don't think it'll make much difference, but I'd try getting fresher air to your saltwater tub before anything else.

waverz
12/26/2006, 02:44 PM
Fresh air to the tub helped alot! Brought the pH back up to 8.0 overnite. Now if i could only get rid of this damn GHA. Time to order a cleanup crew..........