PDA

View Full Version : lighting

czdaryle
12/26/2006, 08:09 AM
Just started a saltwater tank 2 mths ago. I have had freshwater for over 20 years. I currently have a 55 gallon as a saltwater with live rock and fish. We just bought an anomene and I was wondering what I have to do to upgrade the lighting for the least amount of money. Right now we have the 50/50 coral life 2 18 watt bulbs. Is there anything where I can keep the hood and just replace the light fixture or anything. I'm not interested in coral and want the cheapest solution because I have a feeling I might go to a 125 eventually. Thanks for you help

casingbill
12/26/2006, 08:14 AM
I'm no expert, but from what I understand, that is not even close to enough light for that anemome. I would think you would really need something at least close to metal halide.

kau_cinta_ku
12/26/2006, 08:15 AM
[welcome]
you may want the cheapest solution but you picked an animal that needs alot of light to survive so i don't know what to tell you about a cheap way to do it except check out a retrofit kit either T5HO's or MH and that way you can always use them on the bigger tank also.

sir_dudeguy
well if you already have an anemone and need a light to grow that, you will certainly be able to grow most any corals along with it, since anemone's need good strong light. I'd say go to hellolights.com and look at their MH retrofits and look for at least a 2x175 watts, but 2x250 watts would be much better in my opinion. Or you could look at their T5 HO lights. Look for a retrofit that is at least a 4x39 watt fixture, but preferably 6 bulbs.

Dont mean to be discouraging or anything here, but dont be shocked if that anemone dies. For the most part they do not do well in new tanks. Especially if they havent got any light (which yours does not right now) or food (and i dont know if you're feeding yours or not).

hope this helps and....

[welcome]

t5Nitro
You mean replace the hood as in the glass top or canopy or the part that covers your lights? I think you will need to upgrade a whole new light fixture, I have T5 Nova Extreme and I keep clams and SPS, which need a lot of light, but I am upgrading to a 125 gallon and am going to go with 250 watt metal halides. I tried an anemone at 2 months (tank age) and it died, the tank was probably way too young or it just wasn't getting good enough light. The clam was also put in there at the 2 month line and it's still doing good.

czdaryle
12/26/2006, 07:59 PM
thanks for the info... I went with 260 watt with lunar...this is all I could afford. As far a the tank being new..a little more than half the water came from a tank a year old..hope this is enough...thanks for all your input

sir_dudeguy
12/26/2006, 11:06 PM
a little more than half the water came from a tank a year old

that does nothing whatsoever as far as "boosting" the tank along. If anything, the water will be worse, because you're taking used water which means that most of the stuff like calcium or whatever has already been used up. Water does not have bacteria in it (or at least the bacteria that we strive to get in our tanks to filter the tank). That bacteria only lives on rock/sand/other surfaces in the tank, but NOT the water. So by adding water from your older tank, you've done nothing at all as far as aging the tank in my opinion

BurntOutReefer
12/26/2006, 11:13 PM
"Water does not have bacteria in it (or at least the bacteria that we strive to get in our tanks to filter the tank). That bacteria only lives on rock/sand/other surfaces in the tank, but NOT the water."

Incorrect statement.

sir_dudeguy
12/27/2006, 12:29 AM
so you're saying that by taking a bunch of tank water from an established tank and putting it in a completely uncycled tank that it will cycle the tank?

BurntOutReefer
12/27/2006, 10:25 AM
It will kick start the cycle, with smaller spikes. Its a well used trick from FW systems.