PDA

View Full Version : bubble coral problem, please help

maitai123
12/26/2006, 10:43 AM
Hi,

I have 3 bubble corals in my tank. One is doing fantastic. The other 2 were hit with way too much flow, when one of my tunze pumps slipped off of its bracket and adjusted its angle. The pump was approx. 3 feet away from my bubbles, but the current was still way to strong.

I was not at home at the time, so have no idea how long there were exposed to this excessive flow condition.

Their "flesh" was badly damaged. Some of the soft tissue appears to have been blown away. I immediatly relocated them to a very low (flow) corner of my 300 gallon tank.

That was 3 days ago. I can see quite far into the hard skeleton crevaces, where the tissue of the coral used to be attached. There is approx. 30% tissue left.

Here is what is strange, it has been my experience that normally when softies start to die, the tissue rots very quickly. However the remaining tissue of both of these corals have not rotted away. It has not gotten better, but has not gotten measurably worse either.

Does this mean there is a chance they will grow back the lost tissue, or does it simply mean they are already dead, but just rotting slowly?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sabodish
12/26/2006, 11:05 AM
ive had this happend to me on several occassions, it has been my experience that provided nothing picks on the damaged area, it will regrow and be good as new. ive popped several bubbles on accident and ripped flesh while moving LR around the tank..never had one die.

MarksReef
12/26/2006, 11:09 AM
I agree, If it doesn't look like it is melting or rotting, it is most likely going to recover.
Good luck

maitai123
12/26/2006, 02:52 PM
Guys,

After posting this question, I actually raised both of them to have a much better look at them. I needed to do this as they wee kind of hidden in the rear corner. I actually "smelled" one of them. Other than smelling "fishy", it did not stink of rot. Thats the good news. The bad news is it has lost even more of its tissue. I would say it only has 20% tissue mass. I am not sure if this changes your opinion, but want to share this updated information. I really do hope they will regenerate as they were beautiful