PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Overflows wayyy too loud!

craigwol
12/26/2006, 03:07 PM
I'm just starting up my new 120gal tank and based on what I've seen on the internet, I set up using 2 x 1.5" overflows on the rear wall. The back has a reducer to 1" pipe with a T and air valve on top to control siphoning. The pump is a MAG 950 pushing about 700 gph with the 5' of head.

c:\1.jpg
c:\2.jpg

But it is way too loud! Is there anything I can do? I've put the startup on hold. The tank is in the family room and we can't live with it making this much noise.

jallard
12/26/2006, 04:05 PM
http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

melev
12/26/2006, 08:21 PM
It sounds like you are lacking the necessary elbow that connects to the Tee, as shown on the website linked above.

mkzimms
12/27/2006, 01:10 AM
on our 110gal high we used a block of that hard porous foam they make flower arrangements with wrapped in cellophane (about 7"x4"). just cut it big enough to wedge in the the opening a the top of the overflow...it deadens a good deal of the sound. ill take pics asap.

fishtk75
12/27/2006, 07:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8829946#post8829946 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by craigwol
I'm just starting up my new 120gal tank and based on what I've seen on the internet, I set up using 2 x 1.5" overflows on the rear wall. The back has a reducer to 1" pipe with a T and air valve on top to control siphoning. The pump is a MAG 950 pushing about 700 gph with the 5' of head.

c:\1.jpg
c:\2.jpg

But it is way too loud! Is there anything I can do? I've put the startup on hold. The tank is in the family room and we can't live with it making this much noise.

Am I reading so I know you cut in a bulkhead 2 x 1.5 overflows on the back? the pic will not show up for me you have posted.
The reducer I would have made no smaller then 1 1/4"and 1 1/4 tee to 1 1/4 hose or pipe to sump and no air valve. only a cap with a 1/4" hole for air and a 90 deg elbow in the tank to the height the you what the water in the tank as the durso is.
The 1" is sucking in more air because it smaller plumbing less volume for the water to move.
I have a 120 too and used a 9.5 mag and it make loud water too with the durso stand pipe from the overflow boxes.
I us a smaller pump a 3 or 5 mag for less water flow to the sump. then the water noise is almost gone hardy hear it with a 5 mag I have on it now and use the 9.5 for mixing saltwater.
As I read books as Delbeeks The Reef Aquarium you do not need all that water cycling to the sump 1 to 4 times the tank volume.
You need flow in the tank as I have two to three powerheads for water movement.
If you do not what to get a new pump but a bypass valve on the pump back to the sump and open it till you like what you hear.