PDA

View Full Version : QT question

James983
12/27/2006, 07:50 AM
I want to set up a QT for the first time. I've always just bought fish at the LFS that have been around for a while. Sometimes I gamble and I've been lucky, but I know it's just a matter of time.

Anyway, I have this 15 gal. I want to use. I'm ripping down my 45 and moving into a 150. I want to use either a small L/R or some of the filter media from my Eheim and put that in one of those small in tank filter in the QT for bacterial filtration. My question is how do you feed the bacteria when there is no fish in the QT tank? Do you just throw a bit of food in every so often?

Randall_James
12/27/2006, 08:24 AM
You will be better served if you get a power sponge (around $8)

No need to feed the tank as it should be taken down when not in use. You can feed it when you first set it up however to get the bacteria going. The powersponge can be set in your sump for a week or 2 prior to using your qt tank and that should give you a pretty good headstart on the bacteria you need

James983
12/27/2006, 09:01 AM
I see. So I just take sponge from qt and move to sump when not in use. Thanks!

scarter
12/27/2006, 10:13 AM
why cant a QT be left running when not in use?

Randall_James
12/27/2006, 10:45 AM
due to nitrate issues, I would store the sponge dry when qt is not up. If you use any copper treatment, I would retire the sponge to the trash.

You could leave your qt tank up and running but not sure why. Just a use of power and space without much purpose

More on Quarantine (http://myreeflinks.com/out.php?ID=36)