PDA

View Full Version : Reserve tank smells like mold

JimDandy
12/27/2006, 10:45 PM
I got the idea to use a 30 gallon Rubbermaid trashcan from one of these forum messages some time ago to use as a source of water to keep my 120 gallon tank filled automatically. As the tank runs low from evaporation, a sensor in the sump turns on a pump to refill the tank/sump. Every few days I refill the trashcan from my RO unit at about 10 gallons at a time as water is used.

Recently I noticed that it started to smell dank, like a cellar and I'm concerned about mold forming. Is there something I can add to the trashcan to prevent mold without hurting the fish tank?

WinkeyWoneye
12/28/2006, 06:30 AM
Add a air pump with a air stone. Try to make it so the air stone sits as close to the bottom of the garbage can as possible. This will airate your water and keep the water moving slightly to prevent it from going stagnent and or molding.
Also since your already half way there... you should add a float valve to the garbage can and attach your RO/DI output line to it. When the float drops down from tank top off, it will turn your RO/DI unit on to automatically refill your trash can for you. I plan on doing this exact setup as soon as I get my own RO/DI filter, atm a buddy has been making all my water for me. HTH ;)
If it is already smelling like mold, I would make up a small amount of water to use for a days worth of topping off, than clean the can out to get any mold/smells out of it. The airstone will stop future mold from forming once its cleaned.

JimDandy
12/28/2006, 02:35 PM
I would love to do that with my RO unit except that the RO is on the other side of the house and down a level from the tank and trashcan. I don’t believe that the output pressure from the RO unit would be strong enough to make it from the RO unit to the tank. My other option I guess would be to reverse the setup, relocate the 30 gallon trashcan to my basement, and get a pump strong enough to push the water up to the tank.

Thanks for the suggestion…I now have to consider my next move!

WinkeyWoneye
12/28/2006, 03:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8843300#post8843300 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JimDandy
My other option I guess would be to reverse the setup, relocate the 30 gallon trashcan to my basement, and get a pump strong enough to push the water up to the tank.

To make your system fully automated, this would be your best bet. ;)