PDA

View Full Version : 29gallon tank

PasadenaReefer
12/28/2006, 12:24 AM
I have a 29 gallon tank, recently put together 2-3 months ago and have live stock and 3 small expirimental corals in there Is a Protein skimmer a MUST have at this stage or should i be needing one soon?
and is 1 14wat actinic"blue" t5 bulb and 1 14watt daylight t5 bulb enough for the 29 gallon or will i be needing more?

pete620
12/28/2006, 01:25 AM
On my 29 I started out with a crappy Jebo 2x55 watt powercompact ficture and a crappy HOB airstone driven skimmer. This setup worked and my corals were pretty happy.

I know have a 250Watt metal halide pendant over it, and a Euro-Reef RS-80 skimmer and the coral health and growth blows the previous setup out of the water.

Better lighting and a skimmer would be good on your tank. Try to get pretty good compnents now (within reason for your budget) so you won't have to waist money and upgrade latter.

PasadenaReefer
12/28/2006, 02:16 AM
Thanks alot pete620 im looking into a Skimmer right now, any suggestions to buy one online? or should i just scan around the forums looking for a SALE on someons old skimmer? i kinda like the fact of buying a new one.. not too sure though

pete620
12/29/2006, 12:27 AM
Depends on your budget. I got my Euro-Reef from marinedepot.com of about $180.00 (its the extruded acrilic promo model) I've herd good things about Corallife Supper Skimmers. You can get the CSS 65 for less than $100 at marine depot or thatfishplace.com.

Used is also a route you can take, and often times a used skimmer can be just as good as a new skimmer.

Do you have a sump, if not you should get one. Mine is just a 20 gallon fed by an Amiracle overflow box my LFS had on the clearence rack.