PDA

View Full Version : Drain line mod for Octopus skimmer?

beatle
12/28/2006, 06:49 AM
I read through about 10 pages of the Octopus skimmer mod thread before I gave up on finding any info on modifying the collection cup for a drain line. Are these available or is there any advice for how to add a line to my cup? I did read about someone drilling the main chamber for a mod and cracking it wide open. Obviously that's not something I'd be fond of. :) Is it as simple as drilling a small hole in the side of the cup, inserting a grommet and then inserting an air line to drain?

mfinn
12/28/2006, 07:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8840579#post8840579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beatle
Is it as simple as drilling a small hole in the side of the cup, inserting a grommet and then inserting an air line to drain?

Yes, but I would use something much larger than a air line.
Minimum 1/4" inside dia. tubing.
There are some plastic fittings you can use that have threads on one side and a quick release fitting on the other side. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes

beatle
12/28/2006, 08:08 AM
Sounds good. I'm assuming I would not be a pioneer in doing this. My searches have not turned up anything regarding this, but some pics would always be nice. :)

mfinn
12/28/2006, 08:20 AM
I'll try and get one of mine.

mfinn
12/28/2006, 08:31 AM
I suppose the only thing different I would do is the use one of the john guest valves instead of this fitting. But it works pretty good.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4428/fittingqa3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

beatle
12/28/2006, 10:58 AM
Looks nice! I see johnguest.com has a ton of fittings, but I'm relatively new to this. Which one would I need? I don't see any category for protein skimmers. :)

mfinn
12/28/2006, 01:41 PM
the easiest way is to go to home depot or lowes. find the tubing you would like to use and then match it up to a fitting.
like I said, use a tubing that is atleast 1/4'' in dia.
make sure that the side with the threads, which will go through the skimmer cup wall, is the same size as the other.