PDA

View Full Version : Tap water cleaning tank

thatguy
12/28/2006, 11:12 AM
This is just an idea I had and wanted to see what things I was overlooking.

Could you set up a tank that you would add your saltwater too (made from tap water) that would contain various macro algae and LR? The macro algae would use the nitrate/ite, phosphates, and silica to grow, the chlorine would be gone in a day or two.

It would basically be a refugium that cleaned the water. After a week or two you could use this water for a water change.

I'm sure there are other things in the water I'm not thinking of and a few other flaws I have overlooked. So, let me know what they are.

BrentN
12/28/2006, 12:21 PM
Seems to me there are non-organic elements in the water (metals..) that would not be removed by biological filtration. Really depends on the quality of your tap water. Are you trying to avoid a ro/di setup? doesn't sound like it's worth the risk.

thatguy
12/28/2006, 12:28 PM
I already have a RO/DI unit. I'm just trying to figure out another way to clean the water without as much waste. Just an idea I had and wanted to see what others had to say.

I didn't even think about the metals. Anyone have an idea on getting rid of the metals?

What else have I forgotten?

BrentN
12/28/2006, 12:37 PM
Maybe your water supplier can give you a report on what is in the water, and go from there. I know tap varies a lot, my tap tds is about 50 or 60, pretty good, but I don't know exactly what type of disolved solids are present, so I use ro/di water.

latazyo
12/28/2006, 01:01 PM
plants will also suck up metals but over a lot of time....too much time to be worth what youre try8ing to accomplish on a hobbyists scale