PDA

View Full Version : Are 5 Fish Too Much?

The Saltwater Kid
12/28/2006, 11:58 AM
For a 29 gallon? I currently have 1 Ocellaris Clown, 1 Blue/Green Chromis, 1 Purple Firefish and 1 Yellow Coris Wrasse. I plan on adding a Blenny (either a Tail Spot or Black and Yellow) and of course more corals. I run my skimmer 24/7 and do bi-weekly 20% water changes (using R/O water) and I have a HOB minifuge with some Chaeto in it. Is that enough to support the bioload that 5 fish will produce? If I must get rid of one it would probably be the Wrasse since he is the largest (I hate to though as he's such a beautiful and active fish and helps control the pest population) but I was the thinking of exchanging him for a smaller fish such as a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby, Catalina Goby or Yellow Watchman Goby, would this be a better solution?

Andrew
12/28/2006, 12:00 PM
You'll be fine. A small Blenny or Goby wouldn't effect your bio-load much.

Travis L. Stevens
12/28/2006, 12:08 PM
While, I can't suggest much of an option because I know I'm way overloaded for my 29g tank. My 29g tank seems to be a wayward home for lost souls. Because of this, I have 7 fish in my tank. 2 Yellow Watchman Gobies, 2 Black and White Ocellaris, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Yellow Tang, and 1 Molly Miller Blenny. I can't wait until it's just the pair of gobies and the pair of clowns. But, if you still feel like taking my suggestion, here it is:

Are 5 fish too much? For a 29 gallon?

It depends

I currently have 1 Ocellaris Clown, 1 Blue/Green Chromis, 1 Purple Firefish and 1 Yellow Coris Wrasse.

Sounds like a decent list. The wrasse might need a slightly bigger home later in life.

I plan on adding a Blenny (either a Tail Spot or Black and Yellow) and of course more corals.

I think you could squeeze it in, but you would really be topping out.

I run my skimmer 24/7 and do bi-weekly 20% water changes (using R/O water) and I have a HOB minifuge with some Chaeto in it. Is that enough to support the bioload that 5 fish will produce?

Most likely as long as you can keep that up. All I have is a refugium under my tank, and I rarely get to do water changes (shame on me), and I still manage undetectable nitrates and phosphates.

If I must get rid of one it would probably be the Wrasse since he is the largest (I hate to though as he's such a beautiful and active fish and helps control the pest population) but I was the thinking of exchanging him for a smaller fish such as a Hi Fin Red Banded Goby, Catalina Goby or Yellow Watchman Goby, would this be a better solution?

If you are willing to get rid of it in a pinch, then I wouldn't replace it. I would also advise not getting a Catalina Goby. They are temperate water animals. One thing you might think about doing is getting a Neon Goby or Clown Goby or both in place of the blenny and/or wrasse.

The Saltwater Kid
12/28/2006, 12:58 PM
I don't want to get rid of the wrasse, just saying if I had to get rid of one of my fish it would be the wrasse but I would add another, smaller replacement fish. You have a Yellow Tang in your 29g Travis...wow, you're luck the "Tang Police" haven't jumped on your case!

The Saltwater Kid
12/28/2006, 02:52 PM
bump

The Saltwater Kid
12/28/2006, 04:43 PM
I'd like a few more opinions please! bump

Navyblue
12/28/2006, 04:49 PM
If there were small (>2") I'd think it is alright. However if they are any larger I'd not be comfortable with even 4 of them. If you have a powerful skimmer, good sized fuge with macro algae you'd be fine with the bioload aspect, however they don't help with the territory or behavioural issue.

AVALover5498
12/28/2006, 05:16 PM
Could i see a FTS?

-Chris-