PDA

View Full Version : Euroreef RS 180

seayu
12/28/2006, 03:23 PM
I purchased a used skimmer from someone here on RC. (waiting for him to respond to PM before I mention names) The skimmer was supposed to be an RS180. The skimmer appears to have the same dimensions as an RS180 but is made of the acrylic I believe to be a CS Models are made of. The skimmer included a sedra 5000 pump. The cup is leaking pretty bad, I'm guessing the O ring is shot. How P'd off should I be. With the proper TLC can this skimmer be worth my 200 bucks or should I suggest a refund? Thanks and any advice would be appreciated.

xinumaster
12/28/2006, 03:29 PM
return it. the rs are a lot nicier and more efficient that the cs.

Fishbulb2
12/28/2006, 03:30 PM
If it's leaking from a bad o-ring, I would think it would be a trivial fix. Just see if ER can send you a new one. If not, you may even be able to find one at HD or Lowes. Also, if it is the O-ring that leaks, then it may have absolutely been an honest mistake. If the skimmer was non running for a few months, the o-ring may have dried considerably and shrank or warped. The original owner would never have known. If there is anything faulty with one of the acrylic joints, then yes, I would be mad.
FB

Fishbulb2
12/28/2006, 03:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8843653#post8843653 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xinumaster

This purchase was made used so I don't think it's at all fair to try to return it based on changing your mind for something better. Realistically, ANYTHING you buy used off of the boards is basically "buyer beware" or "sold as is". I would be mad if I sold reef equipment to people and they just kept showing up to return it because something new came along. In this case the issue is just whether or not the item was intentionally sold a defective. In which case, it's not cool but I'd bet it was a mistake. Hopefully it's just the oring and it can be solved cheaply.
FB

xinumaster
12/28/2006, 03:44 PM
He bought an rs but end up receiving a cs model.

Pumps are different for this two model the rs uses gen-x 4100. what he got is a sedra 5000. Also, cs uses union lock on the nick while rs uses a zero height euro-loc an advantage when no room in the cabinet to remove skimmate cup.

Jar*Head
12/28/2006, 03:46 PM
Have you try to put some silicone around the o-ring? All ER protein skimmer comes with a tube of Silicone for you to apply into the o-ring so it won't leak. As fishbulb2 mentioned above "the o-ring may be too dry"

Yinger
12/28/2006, 03:53 PM
its not leaking from the pump, its from the collection cup, you don't want to use taht silicon lube on that. Just use some vaseline and it'll stop the leaking. For 200 bucks on a cs180, you really can't complain.

Yinger
12/28/2006, 03:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8843653#post8843653 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xinumaster

the CS is actually a lot nicer than the RS

Fishbulb2
12/28/2006, 04:08 PM
hmmm interesting. If it's the wrong skimmer than I would think you are in the right to return it if you like. I take it you didn't see the skimmer in person before buying it?

seayu
12/28/2006, 04:23 PM
thanks for all that responded.

The skimmer is definitely not an RS 180, again the model agreed on. The model appears to be a CS. CS180, CS8-2 whatever model not sure but around the same size I believe the RS to be. As addictive and fulfilling as this hobby is. I just don't see where someone can look to get over on another hobbyist. And if you're purchasing a Euroreef in the first place you should know a little about the Model. I'm feeling had. Used is one thing yes but a zebra is not a horse. You might be able to ride it but it's no horse. It just doesn't make since. I would never. Hey I know what I go through with my lady spending all my money on this hobby and I just feel you guys can relate and wouldn't take advantage.

Yinger
12/28/2006, 05:01 PM
seayu, I'm not sure if you know the differences btw ERs or not but a cs180 or 8-2 for 200 is a damn good deal. The CS is their highest line of skimmers besides the recirculating ones... so if its a CS then there is definitely no point in complaining about it. A leaking o ring is a 2 dollar fix if that.

rykwong
12/28/2006, 05:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8843615#post8843615 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seayu
I purchased a used skimmer from someone here on RC. (waiting for him to respond to PM before I mention names) The skimmer was supposed to be an RS180. The skimmer appears to have the same dimensions as an RS180 but is made of the acrylic I believe to be a CS Models are made of. The skimmer included a sedra 5000 pump. The cup is leaking pretty bad, I'm guessing the O ring is shot. How P'd off should I be. With the proper TLC can this skimmer be worth my 200 bucks or should I suggest a refund? Thanks and any advice would be appreciated.

Honestly, do a search and see how much a used CS180/CS8-2 will run for on this forum. I guarantee you that it is VERY rare to find any series 8 model euroreefs for $200. I usually see your skimmer running for at least $300+. Don't worry, you got an insane deal. As far as the different models (CS/RS/ES) do a search on that stuff too and you will find out that the CS is the nicer model since it uses the better acrylic. The RS/ES uses the cheaper acrylic. However, this doesn't make a different in skimmer performance. You can just order the O-Ring from euroreef or have your LFS order you one. Since you're doing in sump it doesn't really matter if it leaks too, even if it's a pretty big leak. Trust me, you got an insane deal. If you're still not sure if you got a good deal, post your skimmer for sale at $250, yes more that you got it for, and watch a load of people pming you wanting to buy it.

frazier
12/28/2006, 07:40 PM
that is cheap for a CS180...just be happy

Jar*Head
12/28/2006, 07:45 PM
Yinger, i have been dealing with ER since the day i start this hobby. Jeff ER owner told me to do so. Any idea? unless he is wrong. BTW, i used to own the ER you are running in your sump now. I am the one who mode the RC and adding another pump into it :)

seayu
12/28/2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks again people, don't get me wrong I have read a bit on the skimmers thanks to this site. I also know that I did get a good deal either model that's why I purchased it. I also know that the CS models are the more durable. That's why I got a little iffy once I pulled it out of it package. I just wanted to hear some more experienced opinions and see how I could if need be assist the skimmer in it's maximum performance. I will do as suggested and purchase an O ring and continue preparing for my reef. Hands down you guys seem to think I did okay so I can live with that. If the gentlemen who sold me the skimmer didn't know fine but I just wanted to make sure if he's just cleaning house for whatever reason he's not falsely advertising his equipment. Next time I could ask for a Tunze and get a maxi jet. How about that? Thanks again and hopefully I'll have my reef the way I imagine to post picks. Happy reefing and thanks a bunch.

Seayu soon........

Yinger
12/28/2006, 10:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8845341#post8845341 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by REEFER714
Yinger, i have been dealing with ER since the day i start this hobby. Jeff ER owner told me to do so. Any idea? unless he is wrong. BTW, i used to own the ER you are running in your sump now. I am the one who mode the RC and adding another pump into it :)

okay, and what does you modding the that ER have to do with his leaking collection cup? :p

good luck with the ER, you'll be happy with the purchase

Jar*Head
12/28/2006, 11:27 PM
Cuz your ER used to leak too and my CS500RC also Leaks that is how i get to talk to Jeff and learned about the Silicone.

Why don't you try this, take your collection cup out. Let it sit outside for couple days and hook it back up. You'll see what i'm talking about. :)