PDA

View Full Version : moving a toadstool

slowradio
12/29/2006, 12:55 AM
i'm going to show a little naivety here. is it possible to remove toadstools from the live rock on which they came? i would like to figure out how to attatch the heads to my existing rock and toss the rock that they came on. any thoughts?

REMF
12/29/2006, 01:27 AM
Try here it is the propagation forum. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=157

kass03
12/29/2006, 02:59 AM
I use a bonecutter you can get from Doc Fosters but before that used either a scissor toenail clipper or just a scissors.
You want to grind/shave on the rock just under the coral base leaving some rock so you could easily attach it with superglue.
You could also cut the coral off at the base but then it's harder to reattach.
I like the let some rock on way better and it's not as hard on the coral.
Some leathers are also easily pulled off the rock but again then it's harder to reattach.

kass

Waterbury Guy
12/29/2006, 07:53 AM
My toadstool was slowly creeping up my rock towards the top of the tank so that it was mounted to the rock more on the side than at the base. I took a razor blade to it to remove it from the rock, a nice chunck of it still attached to the rock. Now a month later, I have succesfully re-mounting the "big" piece I was trying to move, and now have 4 little ones growing where I removed it from the rock :)

GlobaLPimP
12/29/2006, 09:59 AM
yes - it's very hard to kill a toadstool. Just cut it at the base and it will regrow....I've got about 4 of them in my tank after starting with just one.

slowradio
12/29/2006, 12:21 PM
thanks for your help everyone. i am going to try to get a buddy to help with the the project (it will be my first of this kind), but all should work out well.

REMF
12/29/2006, 12:34 PM
slowradio,

Take some pix of your progress, also take pix as time goes by so you can see the progress. And be sure to let us all know how it goes.

Good luck

slowradio
12/29/2006, 12:52 PM
will do!