PDA

View Full Version : need reef lighting feedbck fast please guys

michael43
12/29/2006, 10:19 AM
http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=203840&cat=61&

I have an opportunity to buy these lights at a decent price and want to get some opinions. it is the first 48" setup in the link. Will this be ideal for my 75g stocked with a many corals and anemones I can? i was also looking at an orbit MH/T5 combo but need to spend north of $600 to get it... Do u guys think i will be happy with this light?

lvreefer
12/29/2006, 10:32 AM
Hands down the Orbit. You will get more valuable light out of T5 than PC bulbs. The over all setup should have a lower operational cost as well.

jda
12/29/2006, 10:42 AM
The orbit (or similar) will get more light in your tank than the retro kit will. I have PCs in one fixture and T5 in another (they are AB fixtures but will still apply) and they aren't really good for much other than dusk/dawn - they cannot overpower the 250W HQI enough to change the color of a MH bulb that you aren't happy with.

However, those hammy lights will be just fine for what you need to do. If the price is right, then do it.

Also remember when buying used stuff (if it is used) that you almost always need new bulbs. They are usually worn out and should be replaced no matter what the seller says - unless they have a receipt. Factor this cost in as well.

BLockamon
12/29/2006, 12:01 PM
The PC actinics are reportedly not as good color-wise as T5 or VHO. Unless you really like the MH shimmer lines, I'd seriously consider an all T5 kit. 4-5 bulbs over a 75 would be perfect. That said, the Hamilton will work just fine. You'll probably need a higher color temperature bulb (14,000 K to 20,000 K) to get the nice blue tint, since the PC won't give much light.

What ballasts does it come with (Magnetic or Electronic) and wattage? If E-ballast, definitely get the new 175W Iwasaki 14K. They also run fairly well on a M-ballast (per Sanjay's test), but not as much light output.