PDA

View Full Version : Man do I feel like a piece of crap

Tokey
12/29/2006, 02:19 PM
About 3 years ago I bought my wife a 20gl tall aquarium for some Red eyed tree frogs she has always wanted well after seeing some set ups my wife realized you hardly ever see them they just look like a green blob siting in a stick. So I suggested to my wife to set up a saltwater aquarium I've had salt tanks for years and I wanted to get back into it so I figured if I get the wife hooked my future plans for a large tank would be a lot easier. My wife after cycling the tank got a clarkii clown fish a bi colored Blinnie and a coral banded shrimp over a few months time. Well everything has been great for the last 3 yrs and now I'm setting up a 150gl tank
and this Leeds to my problem. I don't know what I was thinking but after watching the classifieds for ages I see a Hippo tang for sale right near me for cheap and at that moment my comen sense went out the door and I bought it. So when I meet the guy at a gas station he gives me two fish the Hippo and a coral beauty for the one price. I knew I should have said no thanks but he was leaving town and had no where to put it. So I took them. Well Bennie the Bi color was first to go and my wife cried she named her fish and they meant a lot to her and me to tell the truth :sad2: next thing I see the tang has ich. I do a 30% water change a couple of days later the coral beauty dies. I do another water change. I notice that Cleo the Clarkii has popeye and is not her self she always swims to the front glass to greet us now shes hiding in the rocks. I test the water and do another water change. Well this morning I found Cleo dead and I dred telling my wife its going to break her heart :( And I know its my falt for getting greedy and having to get the tang before I was ready. I just hope I can save the Hippo at least.
Sorry for the long post but I feel horabley depressed over this and I still have to tell my wife when she gets home. :(

2fishy
12/29/2006, 02:28 PM
I'm sorry to hear about losing your fish!:(

supertech3
12/29/2006, 02:28 PM
next time i hope you quarantine the fish before adding, it will give you a better piece of mind. SORRY for your loses!!!!!!

Mr31415
12/29/2006, 02:38 PM
Many people learn the hard way. It is easy to be tempted - I have fallen for that too in the past. Best is to QT. Sorry for your loss.

TOURKID
12/29/2006, 02:54 PM
man your wife is going to be so upset. that sucks! Im a girl and I bought a tank for my husband. I took it over and it means nothing to him. The other day i had a new wrasse in qt, and it suddenly started to.. well.. die. at that exact moment, he decides he needs to take away my internet so his xbox will be faster....

My whole source of information for saving my fish went away with just a tiny plug. I was ready to kill him. I saved my fish, but havent forgiven him yet for upsetting me so much.

I guess if i were u, Id start with dinner at the favorite resturant. then go to lfs, by everything for a qt tank. qt those tangs and treat them for ick. and by a giftcard for her so that as soon as the tangs come out of qt she can pick out new fish and qt them.

this will also go along with much groveling, apologizes, and butt kissing.

It'll help a little bit. and eventually a new fish should ease up on the memory of her old fish.

I hope you get away without to many scratches ;)

Maggie

ACBlinky
12/29/2006, 03:57 PM
We've all made bad decisions and impulse buys, I'm so sorry to hear how badly this went for you. I'm sure your wife will understand -- everyone makes mistakes from time to time and your intention was to make her happy. Hopefully you can bounce back from this. Tourkid's solution sounds good to me, buy a simple QT setup for the tang and after the tank has been fallow for six weeks (so the ich dies off) and the tang has recovered, put it back into the display take your wife to the LFS to choose a new fish. Quarantine the new addition(s) and hopefully you'll never have to deal with ich in the display again.

Redstratplayer
12/29/2006, 04:12 PM
That sucks man.....................
I feel for you

RichConley
12/29/2006, 04:42 PM
HOnestly,. it may have just been stress from those big fish in that little tank.

TOURKID
12/29/2006, 05:00 PM
stress might have caused a bacteria infection. ick usually takes awhile. if they stopped eatting, swimming and were breathing heavy, my guess is bacterial