PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint shrimp breeding setup.

whatnot45
12/29/2006, 04:18 PM
Ok so i have a pair of peps that just started breeding about a week ago. They are currently in my 29 gallon seahorse tank. HOwever, I need to move them because they are getting huge and to the point where they are eating all the seahorse's food. My seahorses would be starving if it wernt for the fact that they are eating the peppermint shrimp fry. Any ways. I want to try and raise some of them, but im afraid if i move them into another tank that they may stop breeding. So, what in your opinion would be the perfect pepermint shrimp paradise. I dont want to do a big tank for just a pair of peppermint shrimp. Maybee 2 - 10 gallons. would two gallons work? I have a 10 gallon tank set up with millions of copepods in it and a couple volcano shrimp. If I were to add the peppermint shrimp would they eat all the pods? and volcano shrimp?

mwp
01/16/2007, 02:59 AM
http://www.lysmatapublishing.com/shrimp.html

They'll keep breeding when you move them, no worries. I'd stake a fair amount of cash on that fact if someone wants to bet against me (killing the shrimp in the move doesn't count).

Baby Brine Shrimp...learn how to hatch it. Peppermints sound beyond fairly easy to raise (compared to most of the other stuff folks 'round here work with). In fact I had one make it almost all the way that was inadvertently collected while collecting baby greenbanded gobies...if that doesn't have "easy" written all over it....

Good luck - I'd say 2 10's just for the ease at which you can get 10's and work with 10's...you can always run the tanks at a lower water volume but have the capacity there if/when you need it.

Matt

whatnot45
01/18/2007, 06:37 PM
thanks And thats kinda ironic that you meantioned killing the shrimp dosnt count because one of them died haha. I got another one, but they havnt been mating again =( oh well.

sebae09
01/18/2007, 08:26 PM
ive been trying to find info on breeding pepperments for a few months now and still cant find much, can you guys give me some tips? i have 1 shrimp now and plan on picking up another or however many i need whenever i learn something new. thanks guys

PS. this is something im serious about so please help

badjuju
01/18/2007, 10:05 PM
I just noticed that both of my pep's are loaded with eggs. I have no clue what to do. There is not much in the tank, 2 clowns 1 Melanurus Wrasse and a fire shrimp. I dont know if I should just leave them or seperate them????/

mwp
01/18/2007, 10:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9016283#post9016283 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by whatnot45
thanks And thats kinda ironic that you meantioned killing the shrimp dosnt count because one of them died haha. I got another one, but they havnt been mating again =( oh well.

Really sorry I brought it up!

Next time they shed, don't worry, they'll have eggs.

General comment to the other folks - Kirkendoll's book is well worth the cash.

Matt

Kathy55g
01/18/2007, 11:00 PM
Get April Kirkendol's book, How to Raise and Train Your Peppermint Shrimp.

She explains it all!

mwp
01/18/2007, 11:24 PM
Kathy, I'm thinkin' that every time someone asks for info that's in a book, we need to simply suggest the book...keeps those authors writting!!! ;) Saves me a whole bunch of typing up info that's already written somewhere else ;)

Seriously, April's book will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know. Fun little critters that can be done rather easily! Go for it!

Matt

mwp
01/18/2007, 11:25 PM
BTW, Frank, when will we see the Bangaii Cardinal Book? ;)

Matt

Kathy55g
01/19/2007, 06:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9018752#post9018752 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mwp
Kathy, I'm thinkin' that every time someone asks for info that's in a book, we need to simply suggest the book...keeps those authors writting!!! ;) Saves me a whole bunch of typing up info that's already written somewhere else ;)

Matt

My thoughts exactly. It is impossible to put into a 3 inch post what someone has carefully assembled into an informative book. In fact, I think a list of the best books should be a sticky with links to Amazon so folks don't have to struggle to obtain these important methods and informations.