PDA

View Full Version : Ant Hills

BrandonS
12/29/2006, 05:36 PM
Just have a quick question. Every so often I notice a hill or two pop up that look pretty much like ant hills (the northeastern kind not the ones int he south that are huge) in my sand. I don't see anything visibly living in them and after a week or so they crumble back down except for the center section that has some sand grains clumped together.

What makes these things?

bertoni
12/29/2006, 05:51 PM
Probably a sand-dwelling worm. They are good to have.

dwculp
12/29/2006, 06:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8851383#post8851383 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrandonS
Just have a quick question. Every so often I notice a hill or two pop up that look pretty much like ant hills (the northeastern kind not the ones int he south that are huge) in my sand. I don't see anything visibly living in them and after a week or so they crumble back down except for the center section that has some sand grains clumped together.

What makes these things?

I have the exact same thing happen. Overnight the fine sand will be piled up in little piles about 3-4 inches in diameter. 2.5 years and I still have no idea what makes the sand hills.

BrandonS
12/29/2006, 09:47 PM
That's how mine seem to work. They just appear and then crumble away over time. I was thinking maybe my urchin, but i'm doubting that because he's rarely on the sand bed and there'd be more than one or two.

mfp4073
01/01/2007, 03:27 PM
I have the same thing in one of my tanks, but there is NOTHING in it beside sand and a little rock. Its just waiting to be taken down, but I feel bad about these poor critters.

phurst
01/01/2007, 04:29 PM
My spaghetti worms do this in my tank. There are well defined mounds, and if I look closely, I can see their tentacles sticling out.