PDA

View Full Version : what type of Anemones

mth1993
12/30/2006, 07:45 AM
I have a pair of tank bread OC and got a LTA. They went to it right away and loved it. It died after about 2 weeks (I am sure it was sick when I got it). I am now considering another but based on more research am leaning towards a sebae. I have read that the OC do not often go to LTA with mine being flexible do anyoun think a sebae would work?

Gary Majchrzak
12/30/2006, 07:54 AM
'Sebae' is a common name often applied to several anemone species. Heteractis crispa is probably more difficult to maintain than the LTA Macrodactyla doreensis.
Have you read the RC Anemone FAQ?

http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

raoul
12/30/2006, 11:51 AM
To answer your question, we have a H. crispa and our occell dove right in. There's no guarantee all will though. But I think you may have a good shot with yours.

But - I would definately suggest doing your homework first. Consider Gary's advice and make sure you know what you're looking for and that you can support it.

Unfortunately crispas are hard to find unbleached here in the mid-west. If I were to get another crispa, I would assume that I would have to take the risk of getting a very stressed one and nursing it back to health. We were lucky the first time, but not everyone is.

If you read the FAQ at the top that Gary suggested it's full of some good info. It lists different types of nems, the fish most likely to host them in the wild (and thus your best chances for success in your tank) as well as care and level of difficulty. FYI, level of difficulty for all nems begins at difficult and goes up from there. Some are just more difficult than others.

Good luck!