PDA

View Full Version : needle point plastic really works. unfortunatly i found out finally

TOURKID
12/30/2006, 12:19 PM
As some of you know, after 8 months my insanely healthy nem has been nothing but trouble. its tearing me up because i dont know why. first it was twisting off tenicles, then walking arund non stop since the 22nd of december.

well its been in the same spot for 3 days now!! I left my house for 1 hr and a couple minutes, and came home to find half its tenicles wrapped around the intake on my skimmer.

*sigh*

It is covered with needle point plastic and held on by zipties.

the tenicles were wrapped around the screen a few times and were all shrunkin. but it only lost 1 tenicle.

I picked up the rock it was on at the moment, and moved it to safety. but i dont know how much longer its going to hang on. its just so unhappy.

I ran my whole batterie of tests agian and i still dont see anything wrong!!!

refractometer- 1.025

all salifert tests

nitrate - 5
nitrite-0
ammonia-0
calcium - 350 (I cant get it to rise, its driving me crazy)
alk- 8.0
ph- 8.2

dont have a realiable phos kit to use...

:(

cover your intakes boys and girls. it works.

raoul
12/30/2006, 02:17 PM
Here's the stupid question of the day, you've probably already checked this, but how are your lights? I can tell when my lights are going bad because my crispa starts acting weird (not wandering like yours though).

Hope you get it figured out!

Reefdiver72
12/30/2006, 02:38 PM
I had one go through the filter and into my canister filter it looks like hell but it might live I am going to put it in another tank that doesnt have the suction this one does thats twice in 2 weeksit has done this I think it is just a crazy one.
Aaron

TOURKID
12/30/2006, 04:58 PM
no, the lighting is fine. i replaced the bulb about a month ago. same bulb as lasttime too. (hamilton 14k)

any guesses are fine with me though!!

The foot wasent damaged at all, neither was the disk, just half the tenicles were stuuck to the plastic.

Its got its foot buried in the rocks and dident shrink all the way, but it has definately looked better. tenicles look like theyve been chewed on.

chris.hampton
12/30/2006, 05:10 PM
Another stupid but could it be that the lights are now to bright and it's having a hard time adjusting?

TOURKID
12/30/2006, 05:17 PM
I donno. when i changed them the new one seemed way more blue, actually dimmer because of it. I doubt it. its been under mh's for 7 months now.

chris.hampton
12/30/2006, 05:24 PM
But the new ones would be brighter than the old ones because they die over time, or it could just be the color just a thought but if blue gives out more uv than any other color then the zoothingys (can't remember the name) might be struggling. But it is just a guess!

Flighty
12/31/2006, 09:26 AM
One thing with the needlepoint is that if you make a larger box or move it out away from the intake (whatever gives you more surface area of the mesh for your application) the flow will be slower and prevent any injury at all and you wil have fewer clog issues.

raoul
12/31/2006, 10:16 AM
I forgot to say, I'm glad you had the intake covered! I wish I had other ideas for you, I just don't know to be very helpful.
Good luck!

boyooso
01/01/2007, 12:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8857613#post8857613 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
no, the lighting is fine. i replaced the bulb about a month ago. same bulb as lasttime too. (hamilton 14k)

Is a month ago when you started to have problems?

Did your skimming change anytime recently?

I have certainly found my bta not to like too clean of water...

I'm curious about the lighting change...

Corey

TOURKID
01/01/2007, 08:50 AM
nope. i changed the bulb in november. it started moving dec 22.

Im always skimming. always have though. I think btas love pristine water :)

GSMguy
01/01/2007, 09:47 AM
my BTA loves clean water when its clean it inflates the most and come into the light more

boyooso
01/01/2007, 09:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8869841#post8869841 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TOURKID
nope. i changed the bulb in november. it started moving dec 22.

Im always skimming. always have though. I think btas love pristine water :)

When did it start twisting off its tenticles?

Is that a symtom of same problem? (light difference) I'm not saying this is the problem, but exploring. FWIW, with halogen bulbs, the light is more intense with older bulbs, and less intense with new bulbs, I can say this with certainty as the lightsource is monitored by a sort of gauge...

It certainly seems to me, that my anemone does not like skimmed water, but weekly water changes instead...