PDA

View Full Version : Mantis shrimp

keinreis
12/30/2006, 01:57 PM
well I was cleaning out the sponges I had in my sump to control micro bubbles, and when I ulled one out there was a shrimp colored like a pepermint on one sponge moving around. I almost flopped it back into the display, but I wanted to inspect it further first since it didn't have the common long tenticals that the pepermints have. I put it into a glass and filled it with water, and was imediatly shocked when he opened back up. it was a mantis about an inch and a quarter long. I recently put some mexican turbo shells that had died into the sump along with a few small pieces of LR. He was either in the sump from before with the liverock that was already in there, or he went thru the overflow, or rode in the snail shells last week. I have had most of my rock for many years, and the only new rock additions have been when I was given a 75 g set-up there was a few big pieces of rock in it that I used. Since the other rock is at least 6 years old and I figure that if that mantis had been living in my tank for 6 years he would be a bit biger. that has to mean it came from the rock I aquaired about 8 months ago. well I am glad to be rid of him! It was a shock since I had no signs of even having one.