PDA

View Full Version : uv serilizer question

lsir
12/30/2006, 03:19 PM
I just purchased and installed a Coral Life 18w UV sterilizer in the sump of my 120AGA. I am driving it with a Maxi-Jet 900 rated at 230gph. My question is, will that flow rate work to kill parasites in the water? Drs. Foster & Smith reccomend 160gph to kill parasites but if you look around everyone seems to have a different opinion. I figured my 900 probably wouldn't flow quite 230gph and I don't want to go too low on the flow rate because my 120 also has a 30gal sump and I want to make sure it is working efficiently. Your opinions and experience is appreciated.

supertech3
12/30/2006, 03:52 PM
Are you sending the water back to the MT with the same pump? The rating will decrease when your flow height increases.

lsir
12/30/2006, 04:00 PM
The Maxi-Jet is in the last stage of my sump were my return pump resides. It is strickly taking water from the sump and returning it back to the sump with it's dedicated pump. My return pump is a mag12 and it's only function is just that, to return the water to the MT.

AnAnemone
12/30/2006, 04:58 PM
Think Contact Time.
The faster the water flows, fewer organisms will perish, but the less hardy ones will be hit the most.
There is so much speculation on this subject as there are no true rules, just guidelines.

lsir
12/30/2006, 05:04 PM
Agreed, and obviously I understand "contact time" or I wouldn't be asking my question. I'm just trying to get the opinions of some experienced reefer. Maybe someone delt with parasites and knows the optimal flow rate. Obviously I can go down to a trickle and that would have the best kill rate. But I also need to kill in all 150gal of water.

AnAnemone
12/30/2006, 05:07 PM
Jeez... what parasites are you trying to rid...
I mean, there are benificial things in the tank, too.
If you're that worried, quarantine new stuff.

lsir
12/30/2006, 05:10 PM
Anemone, I appreciate your comments. I'm just asking if someone has an opinion on optimal flow rate, that's all.

AnAnemone
12/30/2006, 05:14 PM
But I also need to kill in all 150gal of water.

Then get a maxi-jet 400.

lsir
12/30/2006, 05:35 PM
Okay, I appreciate your comments but your really not helping me much. Anyone else comment please?

AnAnemone
12/30/2006, 05:44 PM
I just did a search on you and can see the impetus for your question.
I do not feel that even if you hit that perfect ratio of flow to gallonage to parasite level that you'd have saved that fish.
UV will not pull parasites or ich off of fish, only that which is in the "stream".
Ich and other parasite things are constantly in the water and on our fish, the variable here is if the fish can fend them off.
Some fish are unhealthy when we get them and are doomed. I'd tend to examine some other variable for this mishap.
Most will ask you to list off your tank parameters, but I think that's worthless. The proof is in the pudding, AKA how is the tank doing.
I don't mean to snuff your UV question, but they don't make a tank instantly impervious to the things that stress and kill fish. I'm not trying to one-up you, just help. I hate seeing someone chase their tail buying "recommended" equiptment or additives that probably won't solve the problem at hand.
TimO

lsir
12/30/2006, 05:54 PM
I understand all that and this has nothing to do with my sick clown, he's gone. I am just asking for the optimal flow rate for this steralizer, that's all. I really don't know how to put this any simpler. I don't see your point in dragging my other posts into this. Presently I have no fish in the tank at all. If anyone has any comments on my original post please reply. I'm sorry the tread got so long and so out of track. AnAnemone, I do appreciate your comments.

AnAnemone
12/30/2006, 06:09 PM
You didn't ask for optimal flow rate, you asked if that pump would work. Yes it will.

BRG
12/30/2006, 08:23 PM
I think that pump would give enough contact time.........I run a 40 watt uv with a 1500 gph rated pump 24/7

my copperband will let me know when it needs to be cleaned ....gets a little ick every time....clean the light the ick goes away

bg

lsir
12/30/2006, 08:30 PM
A big thanks for your comments!

supertech3
12/30/2006, 08:36 PM
I was running mine with a pump rated at 350 gph but had the water returning to the tank with the same pump so my flow was much less it had to travel through some restricting items chiller, pvc 90's, etc. this all had knocked pressure to about 180 gph and it worked fine

lsir
12/30/2006, 08:45 PM
I've already noticed my temp rise 2 or 3 degress since installing the UV. Another powerhead in the sump probably doesn't help either. Anyone else experience tempature rise? Also, has your UV done a good job killing off parasites? BRG, it sounds like yours has.

BRG
12/30/2006, 08:50 PM
yes it has ;)

bg