PDA

View Full Version : Need plumbing help

nirrad
12/30/2006, 05:04 PM
I have a 120 gal AGA Reef Ready, the dimensions are 48x24x24, It has 2 overflows on the back wall. I am trying to plumb a custom built acrylic sump. I am a complete noob at plumbing. I thought I got all the parts I needed, but it looks like I missed a Union connection. My question is this. My tank came with bulkheads for the overflow and return. How do I hook them up to the pvc?. Thanks for all your help and input.

Please, I need lots of advice as this is my first plumbing experience.

nirrad
12/30/2006, 05:16 PM
Here is a few pictures of the proposed tank.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/nirrad487/DSC00428.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/nirrad487/DSC00427.jpg

The drain is 1" and the return lines are 3/4". I have all the materials I need exept the know-how to put it all together.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

pjf
12/30/2006, 06:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8857648#post8857648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nirrad
My question is this. My tank came with bulkheads for the overflow and return. How do I hook them up to the pvc?. Thanks for all your help and input.

Please, I need lots of advice as this is my first plumbing experience.
I have a 75g Oceanic Reef Ready. The bulkheads are installed with the threaded rings on the bottom.

Normally, flexible FDA-grade (potable water) vinyl tubing is used instead of PVC to connect to the bulkheads. The flexible tubing does not restrict the flow as much as rigid pipes with their angled corners. Vinyl tubing is clamped in place and can be removed. PVC pipes are glued in place and must be cut with a saw if modifications are necessary. The flexible vinyl tubing is attached to the bulkheads with PVC connectors or fittings.

The inside surface of the bulkhead is either threaded or smooth. If it is threaded (unusual), then get a threaded PVC male connector with a barb fitting on the other end. If it is smooth (more common), then get a slip PVC male connector with a barb fitting on the other end. The threaded fitting is wrapped with Teflon tape before screwing it into the bulkhead. The slip fitting is glued into the bulkhead with PVC primer and PVC cement. Your return connectors should be 3/4" in diameter. Your drain connectors should be 1" in diameter.

The vinyl tubing is slipped over the barb fitting and secured with a plastic or stainless steel clamp. You can heat the vinyl with hot water if you have problems slipping it over the barb fitting.

If you insist on using rigid PVC pipes, you would use connectors with slip fittings instead of barb fittings. The pipes are glued to the slip fittings. Again, I do not recommend rigid PVC because it is too hard to modify after it is glued in place and because it restricts the flow.

Here is a link to a PVC connector website so you can see how the fittings are specified: http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvc.html

nirrad
12/30/2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks PJF. I had the wrong bulkheads.