PDA

View Full Version : acclimation

blakeoe
12/31/2006, 07:06 AM
i was talking to a guy from a local reef shop and he was telling me how he acclimated a rare (i think wild caught) type of tang for a customer in his shop. Trying not to sound like an idiot i didn't ask him what he meant but i am still trying to figure out what he meant. When i hear acclimation i think of either floating the bag the fish is in, in your tank and slowly adding tank watr to get the fish used to your personal water. How and why would a reef shop do this for someone? or Is it something different?

chemisfun11
12/31/2006, 07:14 AM
Most LFS just float the bags of fish and then dump them into their systems. Your understanding of acclimation is correct, the store owner may have spent a few hours using a drip acclimation method. Time is the only difference.

blakeoe
12/31/2006, 09:24 AM
but if the store acclimates it to his water wouldn't the customer have to do it over again when he gets it to his own tank?

RCBrooke
12/31/2006, 09:57 AM
He could have been talking about feeding. Such getting a wild caught fish to eat flake food, etc. Ask him. If this is the case, then I guess you found a great store.

If its the water then yes, you'd have to redo when you get any fish home.

blakeoe
12/31/2006, 10:22 AM
yea maybe he was talking about feeding. I think he has a really good store. He has been selling reptiles for years and always had a 250gal tank in his store and finally decided to start carrying fish. He seems to know allot and actually care about what he's doing.