PDA

View Full Version : Fish to Eat MacroAlgae

nmprisons
01/01/2007, 09:52 AM
I have a 25 gallon with a yasha goby and a McCosker's Flasher. They are both active and really happy. I have noticed a little macro algae growth in my tank and was thinking about adding a third and final fish. I was hoping to find something that was both really passive and might eat some macro.

Any ideas?

THB
01/01/2007, 04:34 PM
My tailspot blenny is cute and very peaceful. He eats hair algae in my tank more than macro though. He will also eat cyano. A couple of my hermit crabs and a couple of my turban snails will eat the macro, but others of the same species in the same tank will not. So that is hit and miss. Wish I could think of something more definative to tell you. Your tank sounds really cool. The McCosker's is one of my favorites. Do you have a pic to post? Good luck with the algae and the tank.

todd rose
01/01/2007, 05:23 PM
bicolor blenny

nmprisons
01/01/2007, 07:27 PM
Is there some concern that they will nip at LPS? I really like the look of both the bicolor and tailspot.

THB - I don't have any current pics, but will post when I do.

ACBlinky
01/01/2007, 10:17 PM
Blennies won't eat macroalgae AFAIK - I have a bicolour in my 90g and he doesn't touch the macro. I've got Valonia, Botryocladia, Sargassum, Gracillaria, and Halimeda growing in the display and I'd be a little upset if any of my fish ate them! The easiest thing would probably be to harvest the macro by hand, and maybe try an urchin. My pincushion doesn't eat anything but coralline, but other people have had luck with urchins clearing the rockwork of everything including hair algae and macros.

RichConley
01/02/2007, 01:39 PM
You're not going to find any fish that'll fit in a 25, and eat macro.

Maybe an urchin?

lvreefer
01/02/2007, 02:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8878892#post8878892 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
You're not going to find any fish that'll fit in a 25, and eat macro.
Maybe an urchin?
I agree. Either harvesting it and trade it with a LFS or try a small diadema species urchin.