PDA

View Full Version : could I add my clean up crew today?

Monkey55
01/01/2007, 04:53 PM
I am bored, and I have time to drive the 2-hour long drive to the LFS today. these are my levels as of yesterday:

SG = 1.0247
Amm = 0.2mg/L
Nitrite = 0.1mg/L
Nitrate = 0.5mg/L
Calcium = 420mg/L
PH = 8.3

I added cured live rock (43lbs) to my 29G 5 days ago. Could I add a clean up crew today? I already have a shrimp and crab living in there for 2 days.

Also, my buddy has a colt coral fragment for me. Could I add that as well? when?

nmprisons
01/01/2007, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't ... my general advice to folks is 2 weeks with 0 ammonia and 0 nitrate before adding to the tank.

zoomfish1
01/01/2007, 05:32 PM
Your tank is still cycling. As long as you have any amonia reading not much will live there. As nmprisons said, wait, wait, wait. You will waste enough money in this hobby (as we all have done) by not having enough patience. Remember that word. It is the most important word in the hobby.

Let your tank finish cycling, then wait a couple of weeks, then you can slowly add some livestock. I would wait a few months before adding any corals. Easiest coral for a beginner, IMO, would be something along the lines of a flower leather, or mushrooms. Colt coral would nned a fairly stable tank to survive.

Much luck and may good things happen in your tank.

Monkey55
01/01/2007, 05:40 PM
thanx, I'm just bored today, thought clean up crew would be hardy enough. I do have a hermit ans shrimp in there. And they are fine. I only putthe shrimp in to kill any aiptasia I could not find myself.