PDA

View Full Version : Red/Brown Algae Growth questions

steri
01/01/2007, 05:13 PM
I should start out by saying my tank is in the middle of cycling (almost 2 weeks in). AS such, my numbers are not good, and i know this is normal. Ammo is .50. Trates are 10 and Trites are around 5. The flow I have going through my tank right now is about 12-13 times the capacity of my tank. I've checked it, and i don't believe there are any dead spots in the tank.

Having all that said, I have red/brown algae growing over eberything now including my sand, LR, etc. It's not hair algae, but it is definetly not thick or strong enough to be coraline alge either, at least I don't think it is as it rubs off very easily.

When I bought my LS, they gave me 4 free cheato snails. They seem to be doing great, but they are clearly unable to keep with with growth this fast. I understand that the algae growth is more or less a good thing, but the more it covers the sand, the unglier it looks. I was wondering if it would be ok if I went out and got some more snails or hermits in the next couple of days to eat up some of this algae?

If I do, what snails/crabs are better then others at eating algae?

I don't want to rush the tank, but I do want it to look nice. Any info you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

MacJoe
01/01/2007, 06:38 PM
use a turkey baster to clean sand and rocks

drummereef
01/01/2007, 06:56 PM
New tanks go through algae blooms. Nothing to worry about. However, you should not be adding any livestock until the cycle is totally complete. You may end up losing the snails in the mean time, so be prepared. You can add a full cleanup crew only after the cycle has been complete for a week or so. The algae will go away on its own if you keep your water params in check. No need to stress. ;)

Sk8r
01/01/2007, 10:10 PM
That's not likely algae: it's probably cyanobacteria: don't let daylight get to your tank---and just be patient. It looks awful, but it doesn't cling tightly.