PDA

View Full Version : Calcium and magnesium relationship?

awestruck
01/01/2007, 09:18 PM
Asking for ideas from those who know more than I: a friend of mine is ill--his endocronologist says his urine is showing high levels of calcium. The Drs. believe he is "leeching" calcium because his 4 perithyroids (?) are producing too much calcium. Two physical side effects of too much calcium are extreme lethargy and headaches. The only pain reliever (for the headaches) that works for him is something similar to Tylenol, (but it's not Tylenol); it is, however, a product that has magnesium in it. If I'm not mistaken, the human body resembles seawater it its chemical composition. So, I was just curious as to the relationship between calcium and magnesium, or if there even is one. BTW, my friend is going to another endo. to see if s/he can find more answers. Any thoughts...? PS: I know you're not physicians, I was just curious about the possible relationship betweeb calcium and magnesium.

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/02/2007, 06:10 AM
The complex relationships between calcium and magnesium in seawater are not similar to those in the human body, since the levels of the ions are very different and generally fairly tightly controlled in the body.
This article details the effects of magnesium on calcium carbonate precipitation:

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

and

Magnesium in Reef Aquaria
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm

In people, magnesium is generally poorly absorbed from the GI tract, and so can cause diarrhea if enough is taken.

awestruck
01/02/2007, 04:54 PM
Dr. Holmes-Farley,
Thanx for responding and Happy New Year! :) It's probably unfair of me to ask the aforementioned questions but, come on, you ARE pretty darn smart!!! Anyway, my friend's dilemma is that the endo. says his urine is showing high amounts of calcium thus he needs surgery (to remove several perithyroids). However, the surgeon who frequently performs these surgeries says there is NOTHING wrong with his perithyroids. And, because the magnesium in the painkiller relieves his headaches, I made what is probably a ridiculous leap and thought, "Hmm, maybe he has a magnesium imbalance which is interfering with his body's calcium production/consumption levels (thus exiting through his urine) which in turn is creating severe lethargy and constant headaches". It was just a thought on my part. Well anyway, thank you for answering my question Dr. Holmes-Farley. I hope the physicians can diagnose his problem because he and his girlfriend are deeply troubled that no one seems to know what is really wrong. And as always, wishing you and your family peace! :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/03/2007, 06:00 AM
If you think the magnesium is useful for him, you can always try taking some magnesium supplement by itself without the pain med part. :)

I hope he gets well. :)

awestruck
01/03/2007, 08:07 AM
Dr. Holmes-Farley,
Hi again. Thank you---Andrea (his girlfriend) and I hope he gets better too. One last thing: Andrea did mention that he takes a multivitamin so he's obviously getting some magnesium. I don't know, it's confusing. However, here is one last thought: apparently between 17-23% of patients with this problem show no pathology of the perithyroids yet the little buggers are still producing excessive calcium. I'll just have to wait and see what the next doctor says. And hey, as always, wishing you and your family peace! :) PS: I'm way too old to whine about the upcoming chemistry test but is it OK if I just mumble and whine under my breath?! :frog:

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/03/2007, 11:00 AM
but is it OK if I just mumble and whine under my breath?!

Sure, as long as we can't hear. :D

awestruck
01/03/2007, 12:04 PM
You're so silly! :spin2

awestruck
01/03/2007, 12:06 PM
WAIT!! That previous post was supposed to look like this: You're so silly! :spin2: --- :D