PDA

View Full Version : Fire Hazzard!?!?!?!

evilsike
01/01/2007, 08:30 PM
Fire Inspectors are going to check the apartment complex next week.

I know I have to disconnect my moonlight, ozone , air pump for ozone, phospate reactor, extra extension cord (moonlight and ozone), sump light (home depot clamp type).

my tank is 46g bow with...
Aquaactinics T5 5x39wbulb (2 cords)
Mag 5 for proteint skimmer (1 cord)
Mag 5 return pump (1 cord)
2 modded MJ (2 cords) (this is connected to an extension strip which connects to an x-10 module)
Aquacontroller 2 (1 cord but with 3 probes plus 1 line to the interface)

2 wall sockets from the wall but each of those are connected to a surge protector. I need 2 because some uses either a timer or an x-10 module.

Would I worry about my setup? Suggestions are greatly appreciated

xtrstangx
01/01/2007, 08:46 PM
Can you get a pic of inside your stand? Are they going to be picky about wires all over the place?

BeanAnimal
01/01/2007, 09:30 PM
As long as you have drip loops and neat wiring that is plugged into a properly sized outlet bar, you should not have to unplug anything.

The inspectors are coming for what reason? They will be looking for egress routes and signage, panic bars on public doors, fire escapes, firewalls between units, sprinkler or fire supression, smoke alarms, etc. They may comment on an emiment danger hazard that they see... but they are not apartment police that are going to fine you for the use of an extension cord.

Bean

t-rock
01/01/2007, 10:43 PM
without knowing the details I'd bet that the reason for the visit is for a Fire Alarm or Fire Sprinkler inspection and they could care less about what's under your aquarium cabinet. Unless you've had a fire in your apartment recently I wouldn't worry about it.
It might not be a bad idea to put one of those battery operated smoke detectors inside your cabinet though.

evilsike
01/02/2007, 12:03 PM
The memo we recieved was they do it every 5 years. The thing I worry the most is that my aquacontroller wires can't be easily hid. The probes are in my overflow box and the wires are loose. the 2 mag5's cables are also long but coiled up on the floor behind the tank.
Should I hide the additives as well? I don't know if they are flammable in nature

horstman2
01/02/2007, 01:31 PM
Just be honest and let them tell you. If they are doing htere job they are there to help and worse case will write a warning ticket to have something brought up to code. As always just be cool and they usually are too..

jeffgp
01/02/2007, 01:34 PM
best is to play dumb let them tell you the laws or codes and if they tell you to fix something then you know what you have to fix not just everything

lemadl
01/02/2007, 02:57 PM
It would be a good idea to ensure both your wall recepticals are GFIs. (Ground Fault Interupters)

If you do not have them installed and do not want to install them yourself, you can buy portable ones from Marine Depot. They are cheap and work well. Just plug them into the wall socket and you're done.

Even if your apt was not going to be inspected, the GFI's around water, could potentially save your life, so get them anyway if you have not done so already.

evilsike
01/02/2007, 04:27 PM
won't they see more cables running as suspicious? It'll be nice to have built in like the one we have in the kitchen and bathroom but I'm not electrically inclined

BeanAnimal
01/02/2007, 05:35 PM
Guys, these folks are not extension cord police. This is not the KGB coming to do personal living space inspection or the warden coming to toss bunks. The inspectors are coming to make sure that the buildings fire safety systems are protecting you and that if there is a fire, you can get out safely. It has everything to do with the buildings infrastructure and safety systems, not with what what you have plugged in to your wall outlets.

Like I said, they may comment if they see something that is iminent danger. Like an oven being used as a space heater, a space heater with drapes on it, a barbeque grill in the dining room, a 5 foot tall headboard blocking your fire escape window... that kind of stuff.

I am starting to get a kick out of reading the responses here :)

makdoogle
01/04/2007, 06:41 PM
I don't think they will be inspecting your actual apt. I've been in the fire service for 11 years and none of the 3 departments I have worked for inspected actual apartments. They will likely check the common areas (hallways, laundry room, ect.) Where I live the FD doesn't have the right to come into your apt for inspection, that is unless we think there might be a hazard. Your laws may be different, but I would'nt worry too much about it. I'd be more worried about the fact they only come around once every five years.

beatle
01/04/2007, 07:19 PM
Drain your tank and throw it out the window. Just make sure it doesn't block the fire escape.

badpacket
01/04/2007, 07:28 PM
No, no, no! The tank is there as a ready water source.