PDA

View Full Version : Bad batch of salt?

kelrn98
01/02/2007, 02:35 AM
I did water changes on both my display and QT Sunday. Everthing looked great that night. The next morning both tanks were cloudy. No additives at all to QT. Display is topped of with limewater otherwise only additive is phyto. Within 24 hours, QT is clear (only did 4 gal change on this 20g, and less salt as I am running hypo in the QT). The display (110g w/30g sump) is still cloudy, however it is slowly clearing. I added filter floss to both tanks when I noticed the cloudiness. Both have carbon. This was the first water change with this new bucket of salt, but the same brand I have been using. Any ideas as to what caused this?

reefnetworth
01/02/2007, 02:57 AM
lime was my guess. but youre saying top off lime was in main only? what is the brand name of the salt?

John :smokin:

kelrn98
01/02/2007, 04:06 AM
Oceanic. I know this isn't neccesarily the best, but it is what I had been using, I haven't had any problems, so I saw no need to switch. And yes, I only top off the main tank with limewater. I don't add anything to the QT.

Mariner
01/02/2007, 04:39 AM
It sure sounds like a bad batch. I'd make up another gallon of it, and test it with every test I had... excessive calcium and/or alk might possibly be the culprit.
FWIW,
Mariner

kelrn98
01/02/2007, 05:04 AM
thanks, I will test the water out.

I had another thought as to the cause of the cloudiness. I use a 35 gal reservoir to hold freshly mixed saltwater with a heater and powerhead. There was about 5 gallons remaining in the reservoir when I added about 30 gallons more of freshly mixed saltwater. this 5 gallons had been in the reservoir for 2 wks. The salinity was high in this 5 gallons so I compensated when adding the newly mixed. The water sat for >24 hours before I added it to my tank with specific gravity of 1.025. Maybe the 5 gallons left in reservoir for 2 wks was bad?

Michelle L
01/02/2007, 11:56 AM
If I recall correctly, I think Oceanic is very high in calcium right out of the tub. You may have had precipitation after the water change and limewater topoff...?

Mariner
01/02/2007, 06:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8878207#post8878207 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Michelle L
If I recall correctly, I think Oceanic is very high in calcium right out of the tub. You may have had precipitation after the water change and limewater topoff...?
That's kind of what I was thinking too, but it's possible that the leftover make up water fouled. It'll be interesting to see what the water tests show.
Mariner

dbrann11
01/02/2007, 06:24 PM
I am using oceanic also, I've noticed the calcium in my display, which just finished cycling last week, is pushing 480 ppm at 1.25 sg. I haven't had any clouding issues. Is Oceanic known for bad batches?

Mariner
01/02/2007, 06:51 PM
I haven't had any clouding issues. Is Oceanic known for bad batches?
Not to my knowledge, but it does have a reputation for very high calcium and somewhat low alk. I would imagine that if a batch happened to come out with even a little more calcium than usual and then you dosed Kalk on top of it, you could have a precipitation event. Just guessing though :)
Mariner