PDA

View Full Version : Wave Box question.

Tomasa
01/02/2007, 04:27 AM
Hi Roger,
I am running a new wavebox for two weeks now and it is still noisy. It has new propeller (one peice) Also when i put my hand in front of the 6200 pump output the flow is so weak compare to my two year old 6100 pump i have beside of the WaveBox.
6200 suppose to be stronger pump? What do you think?

I checked, the prop, it seats nicely in there, however a bit too tight, do you think this is the problem with noise and reduced flow?
Thank you.

Tomasa
01/02/2007, 04:39 AM
I forgot to mention that to get a 1" wave my controller is set all the way clockwise at aprox 7:20 o'clock.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8876512#post8876512 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tomasa
Hi Roger,
I am running a new wavebox for two weeks now and it is still noisy. It has new propeller (one peice) Also when i put my hand in front of the 6200 pump output the flow is so weak compare to my two year old 6100 pump i have beside of the WaveBox.
6200 suppose to be stronger pump? What do you think?

I checked, the prop, it seats nicely in there, however a bit too tight, do you think this is the problem with noise and reduced flow?
Thank you.

rvitko
01/02/2007, 10:07 AM
The wavebox pump is on for such a brief time it never really gets to full speed. Is the bush bearing tight? Have you tried prying it out and reinserting it to check that it is in right and fully inserted? There should be a very little space between the bush bearing and drive unit, about
.2mm, it should be visible but not so much you can really move it side to side, but it shouldn't drag on it.

Tomasa
01/02/2007, 04:28 PM
Thanks Roger, i will take it apart tonight and check the gap between drive unit and bush bearing.
Forgot to ask: with the controller on the highest seting (all the way clockwise at 7:20 o'clock or so) the pump is running on the longest pulses shuld this be able to emty the box each time? Water level is on the blue line.
And also can i swap the pumps and run 6100 inside the wavebox and 6200 on the 7091 single controller? just to give 6200 moe running time to run ?
Thank you.

rvitko
01/02/2007, 05:20 PM
The pump in the wavebox is not really a 6200, if you read the sticker on the pump it says for pulsed use only part 6260.10. It is a 6200 motor the transformer however is a 6100 transformer so it doesn't have the power required for longer pulses. Even on the longest pulse it only ramps up to about a 55W draw. A 6200 can draw 65W and will overload the transformer if it isn't the larger 80W 6200 transformer. I would keep the existing pump. Check that the bush bearing is in all the way, what you describe in wave height sounds very good for that size tank and yes, on max pulse the unit can empty and produce some bubbles.

Tomasa
01/03/2007, 12:00 AM
Ok, thank you i will liave the pumps on their designated transformers.

i did check the bush bearing and there are two rings and the upper one stiking out about 1 millimiter, and drive unit is sticking out further millimiter, how do i make sure that this is all the way in? When i push with two thumbs i can't push it in anymore, shuld i knock on it with some wood?. These rings have dotted patern inside - - - - - -, is this what it is suppose to be? When i took drive unit out it was not Hot just slightly warm. Drive unit rotates freely, and not sticking to the bush bearing. On the longest pulse box would NOT emty completely just down to the pump.
My transformer set is on the highest (arrow is all the way clockwise at about 5 o'clock) When i turned the power off and turned transformer "arrowscrew" down and then all the way back up again to the highest setiting and then turned the power back "ON" it did give me more powerfull push or at least it felt that way.

Everything looks OK, may be i should try to play more with transformer power level set? May be that is why it does not emtyes the box?
After i put live rocks in and turn HOB skimmer "ON" and 6100 pump on "ON" I can not get more then 1" wave.
Will WaveBox ever be as quiet as 6100 pump?

rvitko
01/03/2007, 10:34 AM
The driver should have come set to full power, everything you describe sounds perfectly normal. A 1" wave is much more than I would expect on a 36" tank, frankly I would expect it to barely work at all. Is the noise from the pump or the box? The wavebox does make a noise that sounds a bit like raspy breathing.

Tomasa
01/03/2007, 05:07 PM
The noise is from the pump, noise starts and stops at the same time pump is.
Box is very quiet except for occasional splash, no breathing sound at all, would that indicate pump is not running at full speed?
Or may be impeller is not balanced ?