PDA

View Full Version : small mantis discovered in new reef tank

randL524
01/02/2007, 07:59 AM
Just starting a new reef tank - 24G Nano Cube. Purchased "package" from Tampa Live Rock (HIGHLY recommended - very friendly and helpful). 1st shipment had 25 lbs live sand and 25 lbs live rock. Discovered a 2 inch red mantis - removed all the rock, caught it under a glass, and gave it to my local aquarium store. Next shipment had another 25 lbs live rock along with hermit crabs, snails, a brittle star, 2 sea cucs, couple of pepermint shrimp and 2 anemones. Cycling nicely and just found another small green mantis. Think it's a mantis anyway. So, do I need to trap and remove it or can it be a member of my reef community? If it needs to be trapped what food do I use so that the other invertebrates won't also want to eat it.?

When it's finsihed cycling - maybe another week or so - I'll add three fish, maybe another invert and call it done (for the time being anyeway)

Shagsbeard
01/02/2007, 08:24 AM
I'd get it out of the tank. He'll eventually get to where he'll be attacking anything that crawls... snails, hermits, what have you...

If you can isolate him, they make neat displays, but they really don't do well in a reef with others. Congrats on trapping the first one... I've heard it's really difficult.

blackheart
01/02/2007, 08:39 AM
i would add three fish right when it is done cycling. you'll lose everything. One at a time take it slow

Glove
01/02/2007, 09:04 AM
If you dont mind replacing snails and crabs and the occasional rock or coral getting pounded on, they are an interesting addition to a reef.
*providing you have a smasher- if its a spearing type mantis any fish could become dinner.

dc
01/02/2007, 09:35 AM
I would get him his own nano tank. They are cool little guys.