PDA

View Full Version : New DIY CA Reactor - Questions

newsalt
01/02/2007, 01:32 PM
I'm finishing up a DIY Calcium Reactor for my 120g reef. The Reactor will be two stage and consist of two 4.5" diameter x 18" tall columns. I have a few questions about setting up the unit once it's done.

I was going to use an Eheim pump to run water through the reactor. What flowrate am I looking to pump through the reactor. I was looking at getting an Eheim Model 1250 rated at 317 gph. Is that to much? Should I get a Model 1048 rated at 158 gph?

My next question is about bringing water from my sump into the reactor. I've seen where others use a Maxi-Jet powerhead in their sump to bring water to the CA reactor. I already have one Mini-Jet bringing water into my PO4 reactor and another Mini-Jet bringing water into my UV Sterilizer (both low flow devices). I really didn't want to put another Maxi-Jet to feed the CA reactor, and if I didn't have to, I didn't want to tap off of my return piping to feed the reactor. Could I get rid of the two Mini-Jets I have and get a small Mag pump that would feed the PO4 reactor, UV, and CA Reactor?

Any advice is appreciated.

newsalt
01/03/2007, 03:22 PM
No one can offer any help?

:confused:

newsalt
01/09/2007, 05:49 AM
bump

Henry Bowman
01/09/2007, 10:12 AM
You "could" do a manifold of sorts off a stronger pump.
By a manifold I mean run the single larger pump into a PVC pipe with fittings for each of the applications. Each "fitting" would need some type of valve for adjusting the flow. This is what I am thinking.

The real challenge is that the reactor will probably require a little more pressure than the other two. In addition, any differences in flow via obstructions within any of the units would change the flow through the other devices. A Ca reactor needs an adjustable steady flow through it since any change in flow will change the effluent alk and Ca readings (which need to be very consistent). may or may not work. Question is, do you want to try it, spend the cash and if it doesnt work go back to individual power heads.....?