PDA

View Full Version : Spa Flex????? Hurry Please

hurleycr
01/02/2007, 04:26 PM
Anyone, I have only a few hours left to get this done.

I was installing a new sump, and i'm taking out some "old" hard plumbing and will be converting slowly to Spa Flex.

I'm using 1.5" flex and I used All Purpose PVC, ABS, Plastic glue.......... it the Red Can from Oatey that you can get at any hardware store.

I've already cut and glued, the reason I asked I was snugging up a union and when I did so I noticed the Spa Flex Slide....!!!!

Please, Please, Please tell me that it just takes a lot longer to cure than PVC.....!!!!!!!!!

sorry to start a thread for this but I need an answer quick......

I have less than 30 mins to get to hardware store and get more spa flex before they close.

saltycreefer
01/02/2007, 04:31 PM
It does take longer, and you really need to hold it together tightly for a few minutes. I would also recommend 795 pvc glue, it works best on spa flex. If you use the wrong glue, the pipe can be easily pulled from the fittings even after curing.

hurleycr
01/02/2007, 04:35 PM
Id really rather know before I put 50 gallons of water in the sump......

How long do yo think it takes.......

hurleycr
01/02/2007, 07:04 PM
anyone?

JonTarutis
01/02/2007, 07:07 PM
I use the same stuff on spaflex all the time... I usually give 5-19 minutes of curing. I do tend to be a little liberal when applying the glue... usually 2 swipes on each piece.
Good luck!
Jon

garbled
01/02/2007, 07:29 PM
I used the blue stuff on mine, and it cured quite quickly.

BeanAnimal
01/02/2007, 08:20 PM
5-19 minutes... what an odd answer.

The stuff in the red can is not the best choice. The BLUE "rain or shine" stuff will work much better. It is a heavery bodies glue that acts as a solvent and fortified binder.

Bean

tgreene
01/02/2007, 09:20 PM
After it's fully curred for severlal days or even a few weeks, I would dab over the outside of the joints with another coat of glue, so it can penetrate any areas that have contracted or had bubbles that popped... I had tiny leaks in one place, and had to do this with my Spa-Flex.

JonTarutis
01/02/2007, 09:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8882165#post8882165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
5-19 minutes... what an odd answer.

The stuff in the red can is not the best choice. The BLUE "rain or shine" stuff will work much better. It is a heavery bodies glue that acts as a solvent and fortified binder.

Bean
That should read 5-10 minutes... guess the typo police on is the prowl tonight! :P
Heavery bodies? Heaviered body? Right back at you!

BeanAnimal
01/02/2007, 09:32 PM
yes but my answer was not "odd"

it just shows I can not type, spell or proofread.

:)

JonTarutis
01/02/2007, 09:34 PM
Bean-
How much heavier is the blue can? Having switched a while back to the red can as my glue of choice I haven't had much interested in trying anything new... you may have swayed me to sample something new!

BeanAnimal
01/02/2007, 09:49 PM
You can get heavy bodied cement... it has more disolved solids in it for use on large diameter PVC pipes.

The rain or shine stuff is a different product really. It is part solvent and part solids (glue). It works well for some applications (like spa flex) and is very similar to the special glue for SPA-flex.

The multi-purpose stuff like the ABS/PVC cement is a compromise and not great on either type of plastic. I would not use it unless I did not have another choice :)

The oatey website is a godo resource (as well as IPS and other sovlent cement companies).
Bean

JonTarutis
01/02/2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks Bean!

hurleycr
01/02/2007, 10:53 PM
they didn't have the blue can wet r dry.... they were out and this was a must get finished project. I did however go with the HEAVY DUTY green can which is like, well cement. Not drippy like the glue.

How long do you wait before you put water through it?

I'm on hour two and three for the respective sections.

Should be Ok by the time I finish topping up the tank right?

BeanAnimal
01/02/2007, 10:58 PM
should be yes...

BraenDead
01/02/2007, 11:04 PM
They make PVC cement for flexible PVC which is the preferred stuff to be using. Heavy duty PVC cement should work fine as well but I prefer the cement for flexible PVC (since it designed for specifically that). I have seen small leaks develop with other cements, especially when stressing the joint with a bend in the pipe near the joint.

Bob

hurleycr
01/03/2007, 12:22 PM
well, tanks up and running with newly installed spa flex, sump, skimmer, kalk reactor I worked on it till 5 AM but nonetheless its complete......

There is a defintitly a difference in the All Purpose can and the Green Can.

You can feel the difference in the joint, the joints with the All Purpose feel bouncy, but the ones with the Green Can are solid as can be. Much better, I will be sealin the outside with it later in the week to give bubbles time to pop.

THANK TO ALL THAT REPLIED......

hurleycr
01/03/2007, 12:23 PM
anybody know if you can glue a MPT into a slip and it hold?

BeanAnimal
01/03/2007, 12:31 PM
Not really a good idea. Solvent cement is not made to fill gaps. If you must, then use plastic epoxy or marine epoxy.

Bean

garbled
01/03/2007, 04:15 PM
Epoxy will work, though generally what you are trying to do is a really bad idea.

hurleycr
01/07/2007, 12:18 AM
yeah I agree its a bad I idea but its for a non pressure situation, so it should be fine. It cured up nicely.

Well, thanks again to those who replied and gave opinions and information.

Project complete