PDA

View Full Version : Plate Coral

rawskyje
01/02/2007, 08:15 PM
I recently bought a short tenacle plate coral. This coral hasn't really inflated yet however for the first few days the polyps did extend and it accepted food. It is now losing color (bleaching?) and I'm not sure if this is a really bad sign or if it's just acclimating going through a change. The coral is located on the bottom of my tank with medium- low flow. Tank stats are ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-0, alk-2.5, calcium-480, salinity-1.025. Any help with this or these corals would be great!

Reef_bones
01/02/2007, 08:59 PM
If it's bleaching, that's not a good thing...from your sig light setup, it probably doesn't have enough light. Try moving it up some.... Then again, my plate likes low light, it bleached under my t-5s, so ..... try moving it up for a few weeks, and if that don't help, then try shading it. Meanwhile, feed it every other day with shrimp, brine, squid, cyclopeeze, meaty foods, and it will be fine.

blange3
01/03/2007, 03:41 PM
Pics would help.

They tend to receed to the point that you think they died. Best to leave it in one place and maintain water parameters. Try to feed, especially after lights out. Add some garlic and be patient.

I have one that objected to being moved and it didn't extend for almost 2 weeks. It came around is doing great.

rawskyje
01/03/2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I read somewhere that they don't like sand/ crushed coral landing on them either and my damsel seems to tail quite a bit into the water column everyday. So...I'm going watch parameters and not mess with it too much. Probably put a 20 oz top on it to feed since the polyps aren't coming out really. Thanks for the help

chrisstie
01/03/2007, 08:23 PM
If you have a healthy specimen and it isn't completely burried (like, you shoveled a load of sand on it) it should be able to inflate itself (probably at night time) and use its uh.. cilliary? action to get rid of the sand.. kind of like when it eats but moving the sand in the opposite direction.

These things have had such crazy stories behind them- completely dying off then coming back when you didn't realize it... I'd give it some time and patience with a watchful eye. Let us know how it does!

spsgtr
01/03/2007, 10:42 PM
likes low light. keep it on the sand. even if it looks like its dieing small babies can sometimes come later

oxkisses12ox
01/04/2007, 01:37 PM
i thought that my long tentacle plate coral was bleaching too.. but turns out that they tend to look bleached in the day time (if they are pink) because the light shines right through.. mine has actually expanded 3 inches in the past week.. i leave it on my sandbed with lots of room around it (touching NOTHING) it likes its space... dont keep it under the sun lights (the normal colored lights) keep it on the side of the tank with your blue lights ... it sends to be much healthier... also .. dont over feed it... it will never open up if you continue to feed it more than once a week ...