PDA

View Full Version : Current Outer Orbit Ballast

theishkid
01/02/2007, 10:49 PM
Hi, I'm having some problems with my Current Outer Orbit and apparently my LFS can't get Current to send them a new ballast so I took matters into my own hands. I went down to the local light store with the problem ballast and asked if there was anything he could replace it with. This first picture is what I have and the second picture is what I bought. Can anyone tell me if this will work OK? The new one is for 2 lights but he said you could just cap the second wire and only run one light. What do you think? Will it work or do I need to keep struggling to get a Current ballast?
http://www.dawsonsrejects.com/sale/current.jpg
http://www.dawsonsrejects.com/sale/ge.jpg

the_anti_honda
01/02/2007, 11:38 PM
(760) 727 7011 #107

The name is Ike, hes a super cool guy and tell him what your situation is and that you have a fish store that seems they can't help you on a warranty issue. I highly doubt its current and its probably your LFS is a bunch of lazy you know whats. I have had great service from current in replacement parts and think you would have the same.

theishkid
01/04/2007, 08:18 PM
Well will the new GE ballast work just as well? I'd really rather not pay 30 bucks for a ballast from current when I can get this GE for 9 bucks

the_anti_honda
01/04/2007, 11:05 PM
Current would give you one for free.

PaulErik
01/05/2007, 04:42 PM
You do not want to replace a compact fluorescent ballast with an instant start T8 ballast. They have different electrical requirements. An instant start T8 ballast will light a compact fluorescent lamp but not safely.

NEMA and ANSI specify a compact fluorescent or any small diameter fluorescent lamp should only be used on a ballast designed for them. A compact / small diameter lamp requires a ballast that will limit operating current if one or both of the cathodes were to fail. If one was to fail the lamp can draw over double the current and overheat the lamp base. This can be a fire hazard with compact fluorescent lamps because the base is usually made out of plastic.

I personally would get the same ballast that was in the fixture or a ballast designed to operate compact fluorescent lamps.

theishkid
01/06/2007, 12:56 PM
thank you... that is the information I was looking for.

theishkid
01/06/2007, 12:56 PM
thank you... that is the information I was looking for.