PDA

View Full Version : Wireless ethernet

james3200
01/03/2007, 10:59 AM
Hello,

I should be receiving my ethernet module tomorrow, and as i dont have an ethernet connection where the tank is im planning on using a wireless access point like this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Netgear-ME102-wireless-access-point_W0QQitemZ170065473811QQihZ007QQcategoryZ86764QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) one which i have spare somewhere.

Im sure i read that someone on here had done similar, however i cant find the post.

Can someone shed some light into doing this, and anything i should be looking out for.

Many thanks,
James

gigiba
01/03/2007, 11:17 AM
you will need a bridge/wireless converter to work with your ethernet module.

Bascially, you need to hook up your access point to where you network is (convert your wire network to wireless) and setup a bridge/wirleless converter at where your Ethenet module is (convert wireless to wire connection).

hope this help

james3200
01/03/2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the info

I have an existing wireless network so i just have to connect up the access point / bridge to the module which will make the ethernet wireless?

Sounds simple..

James

gigiba
01/03/2007, 01:08 PM
If you have an existing wireless network, all you need is a bridge or a wireless converter (differently brand name it differently) for you ethernet module. Just to make sure the bridge or the wireless converter will work with your exsiting access point.

james3200
01/03/2007, 04:20 PM
Cheers,

I have got myself a new netgear access point, which is the same brand as my network, so hopefully that will work well.

Im sure il have a couple of more questions when i set it up :D

James

phishlet
01/06/2007, 03:50 PM
If you already have a wireless network with wireless router in place (which is what I thought you said already) then you need a bridge/ehternet converter - not another wireless access point.

One of these two would work:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5943517&st=gaming+adapter&type=product&id=1061127609830

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7666876&st=buffalo+ethernet+converter&type=product&id=1134701703107

james3200
01/06/2007, 04:04 PM
Got it working :)

Using one of these http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=154416

Now just trying to configure my router to get it working correctly from outside my LAN

James

james3200
01/31/2007, 02:41 PM
Finally manage to get my remote viewing work :D Very happy with that

Also with my nokia i can now view the tank from my mobile when i want and receive emails, i highly recommend the unit.

gigiba
01/31/2007, 05:30 PM
Rock on !!!

james3200
02/01/2007, 06:15 AM
One last thing to do - email alerts

When i check the email settings with the pc software, i have to choose the smtp ip address. In my email settings of outlook express it just has mail.btconnect.com, how do i get the IP address?

Also i guess i would then put in the authentication of my server in the two boxes bellow

Any help appreciated.

James

RobbyG
02/01/2007, 11:59 AM
The Aquatronica will resolve the email server to it's IP address for you, so just put it in as a normal url.
The Authentication all depends on if your email service requires it, for sending mail, most dont if your using their email servers.

IOW if you need authentication to send email on a regular PC on your network then the AQ will need it, otherwise leave it blank.

james3200
02/01/2007, 12:40 PM
So the aquatronica ip goes in the SMTP IP address ?

Ive tried that, and i need authorisation on the email account i use on my pc / server, so i have put that in too

Waiting for the test email now.

James

RobbyG
02/01/2007, 02:34 PM
No, your email server mail.btconnect.com goes in there.
Then just put in your authorization data.

If it still does not work, you might want to go to your PC and do a test to see if your ISP email server allows email relaying.
Change your own email address in outlook from [email protected] to [email protected] and see if you can still send email. Unfortunetly under this firmware revision you cannot change the sender domain from aquatronica.com and most ISP email servers see that as possible spam relaying so they block the mail. If that is the case you need to use another email service.

james3200
02/01/2007, 03:17 PM
that does sound simple enough, but the field i have to enter only number are allowed, like an ip address, i can't enter letters. It says enter smtp ip add, and then there is a box on the right of that saying find ip by using the server name (i guess mail.btconnect.com) but i havent been able to get that box to activate..

Is yours different?

James

RobbyG
02/01/2007, 04:14 PM
If I remember correctly you press the Find IP button then a box will appear and you enter the name there.