PDA

View Full Version : Word of warning... electricity

Shagsbeard
01/03/2007, 03:47 PM
We'll... I was redoing my drain to my sump to quiet it down a bit. Removing the old tubes was a pain to do all in one big chunk, so I got out the ol' PVC cutter and started cutting pipe. Third cut, I cut right though the cord to my lights... they were on. Sparks flew, smoke poured out. I didn't feel a thing, and my fish had no reaction to it. But my light cord is now about a foot shorter and I could have killed myself.

Don't work on your tank when it's plugged in. Anything plugged in. Or just be a heck of a lot more careful than I was.

Edit: Oh... the sump is much much quieter.

BurntOutReefer
01/03/2007, 03:49 PM
ummm....ok then,.

RTKBA308
01/03/2007, 04:35 PM
It's always an enlightening experience cutting through power cords:eek2: . I've cut lots of circular saw cords and hedge clipping cords:D. In your case, you should really count your lucky stars, being around water:(

BadOleRoss
01/03/2007, 04:46 PM
I think better advice might be not to cut power cords that are plugged in......or, pay attention to what you are cutting.

Nano Chris
01/03/2007, 05:23 PM
I would pay more attention to what is around the pipes and make sure I'm not going to electrocute myself.

trpigg
01/03/2007, 05:31 PM
I was rearanging my sump area...being a neat freak that i am... and i acidently drop the controling head unit to my heater right in the refugium. My whole refugium lit up and i wasnt even thinking. I was so worried about my fish getting shocked i didnt think of safety first. I reached right in and i grabbed it out and i felt a shock run rigt up my arm but not severe at all. Luckily that was all that happened.

P.S. I am much more careful around electricity now.