PDA

View Full Version : Does carbon always leach out so much black residue...

OARrocks
01/03/2007, 07:41 PM
i have to rinse my filter carbon under the sink for about 5 minutes for all the black dust to stop running out of it. if i dont it leaches it all into my water. anyone have a similar experience?

Lev F.
01/03/2007, 07:42 PM
Yep. Same thing happens to me when I rinse my carbon.

SDguy
01/03/2007, 07:58 PM
Also the amount of "grinding" going on will make a difference. The more you squish around the carbon, grinding the granules together, the more dust/particulates you will create.

Rhodesholar
01/03/2007, 08:16 PM
Yes.

What I do is dump a small portion at a time of what I am going to clean in a bucket, and swish it around. I then pour it out through a fine mesh strainer and repeat untill it runs clear. I doubt this is any monumental discovery but if you weren't aware try it. Works really well.

Some guys put the AC in their Phosban reactor and run some tank water through it (discarding the tank water run through it obviously) thus cleaning the AC and doing a small water change at the same time.

Rhodesholar
01/03/2007, 08:17 PM
Oh and SDguy was right on to. Don't grind it or get rough with it. Just makes matters worse. Be gentle.

PrivateJoker64
01/03/2007, 08:25 PM
I rinse it in RO-DI until it clears. I hate to use tap because the tap is nasty here.

benray4fun
01/03/2007, 08:45 PM
What type are you using?... I use black diamonds and the granules are
small, so you don't get as much of it, though I still have to rinse it. The bigger the granules the more dust and rinsing you'll have to do, so nextime go smaller...

dippin61
01/04/2007, 03:21 PM
thats why on the box/bag/container, it says to rinse it ;)

same with phosban and the like.

reeformadness
01/04/2007, 03:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8890138#post8890138 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rhodesholar

Some guys put the AC in their Phosban reactor and run some tank water through it (discarding the tank water run through it obviously) thus cleaning the AC and doing a small water change at the same time.

Do these guys put the AC back in the Phosban reactor when they are done? Or do they just keep it in a mesh bag in the sump. I am curious to try AC but don't know the best way to use it. I have a phosban reactor that is not being used right now I could use. Are there any drawbacks to running AC continually?

SDguy
01/04/2007, 04:26 PM
I phosban reactor is a great way to run AC, IME/O.

reeformadness
01/04/2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks. Continuously?

SDguy
01/04/2007, 07:04 PM
You'll here people argue both sides of this one. IMO, running carbon continuously is fine, and does not remove any "essential" "things" as some claim. The benefits FAR outweigh the supposed detriments.

JMO, take it as you like.

P-