PDA

View Full Version : adding uncured LR during 'cycling' ?

dlcan
01/03/2007, 07:42 PM
Need your expert advice / suggestions.....
I started 'cycling' of my new 29gal cube on Dec./26 and ordered some uncured LR and they should be arriving by end of this week....
I just checked my water and the Nitrite level reads around 1.0.... (same for the last 2 days....)
now my question is.... if LR arrives and if the Nitrite level still reads above 0....
should I 'acclimatize' the LR with my 'tank water' and put them into the tank ?
or should I 'leave the LR in the shipping container, then wait and see' ?
Also - I replaced the bio-balls with a small bag of 'active carbon' and after 2 days I noticed there is a very thin 'black film' on my stone corals and original small piece of LR....
would you know how can I get rid of this black film and what to do to prevent future build up of this black unsightly film ?
thanks !!

zoomfish1
01/03/2007, 07:52 PM
Go ahead and add the live rock when it gets in. It will just extend the cycle a while. Cycling will take about a month, then couple more weeks to be sure.

With the carbon, sounds like you didn't rinse it off before you put it in the tank. A mistake most of made. Once. Try taking a turkey baster and squirt on the rock and anywhere else it settled.

And next time, don't forget to rinseit. BTW, carbon needs to be replaced every few weeks.

dlcan
01/03/2007, 09:59 PM
hi zoom, thanks for the reply.....
well -I did rinse the carbon at least a few times till the water is 'clear'.... mmm - any other thoughts ?
I remembered way back when ...(at least 10 years ago when I had my first sw tank...) I read it somewhere that I can re-use or re-activate the used carbon every few weeks by rinse it first, then spread out the used carbon in a hot oven till its dried....
have anybody heard of such way to 're-use' or 're-cycle' the used carbon ?