PDA

View Full Version : My $1300 Beta...

gkelly
01/03/2007, 08:32 PM
This is a true story and my (finally) start into ReefKeeping.

In November my son's 3 year old Beta died. May have been the only beta in history that got a 10% weekly water change and a variety of flake\frozen foods. Willy took good care of him - not bad for a 9 year old.

So mom sends us out to get a new fish. I suggested to Willy that we hit the lfs to see if that had any pretty ones. The betas in the pet store looked pretty rough.

When we walk in the first thing we see is - are you ready - a 265 mature reef. We both stood there for a couple of mins. It was amazing. I'd been researching on and off for several years but couldn't justify the cost. Suddenly cost didn't seem such a problem.

So we walked out with:
An Oceanic 29 BioCube
20 pounds of live sand
25 Gallons of RO\DI saltwater
Heater, thermometer, etc. etc. etc.
A slip of paper to pick up 30 pounds of live rock after the tank was set up.

Boy was mom suprised! :eek2:

Now, after picking up all of the gadgets needed to run this thing we've got a cycled tank with 2 clowns, a cleanup crew, and water params right where they should be. I promised myself that we wouldn't do corals until we had stable water for 4 weeks and coralline algae was showing. If all goes well that will be Saturday.

All of you deserve the credit for our success. The info and help I found surfing here was huge.

Now time for some zoas and mushrooms (if I can ever get the checkbook back).

Thanks again for all your help!

sjm817
01/03/2007, 08:42 PM
[welcome]

xenon
01/03/2007, 08:45 PM
That's awsome and your the best dad for doing this for your son.

I bet you that when he grows up he will have a huge 200g+ reef in his house. :)

JayS
01/03/2007, 08:46 PM
Congrats to you and your son, show us some pictures when you have time (we love pictures here).

2swift
01/03/2007, 08:52 PM
Yes pic's please!Welcome aboard

casingbill
01/03/2007, 09:03 PM
Awesome!!!!...my story is similar. My 9 yr old daughter won a betta and some goldfish at the fair. Named them all. Wrote their names on a piece of paper and then crossed them off one by one as they died. My wife killed the betta by doing a 100% water change. Decided to go into a LFS.....just looking. :rolleyes: Thats all it took. Tonight, I just bought a tiny colony of zoos. :)

BurntOutReefer
01/03/2007, 09:20 PM
lol....I started with a goldfish won at the local fair.....$25K later....

chrisstie
01/03/2007, 09:27 PM
That's so awesome :) If I ever have kids someday I hope they will take on the hobby as well!