PDA

View Full Version : Clean-Up Crew Help

jstlsn
01/04/2007, 10:24 AM
Trying to figure out what to include in my clean-up crew. I have read a ton of different posts and still can't determine what I should get. I have a 75 Gallon tank and I would like everything to be reef safe. The tank has 72 pounds of live rock and a deep sand bed. So what should I get?

Thanks
Brad

Shooter7
01/04/2007, 10:29 AM
I like snails, specifically ceriths, nassarius, and astreas - although folks complain about them having issues with not being able to right themselves if they fall and land on their back, I have many that I've had for a couple of years. A small fighting conch might be good too, I have two of those. I also have one turbo snail. I'm crabless.

rooroo
01/04/2007, 10:32 AM
I like a combo of hermits and snails. I also have some bumblebee snails which I really like. Not sure how readily available they are but I scooped about 6 of them up when I found them. They stay nice and small and burry in the sand. I rarely see them.

I actually need to restock my cleanup crew too.

steri
01/04/2007, 10:47 AM
I don't mean to steal the post, but hey Rooroo, tell me about those Bumblebees. I was interested in them, but I don't really know what they do or don't do. Are they sand sifters, glass cleaners, rock cleaners, or all the above? Just curious.

rooroo
01/04/2007, 10:52 AM
I just read an article that said they are a variety of Nassarius snail.

Here's a thread on RC about them. (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=46539) I can tell you that I've never seen them eating other snails or any corals, and I consider mine to be completely reef safe.

rooroo
01/04/2007, 11:39 AM
Just wanted to say that theres lots of controversy over these bumblebee snails. They are technically a whelk, not a nassarius, but seem to behave something like the nassarius.

Copied this from saltcorner.com:
Anthony Calfo and Bob Fenner in their book "Reef Invertebrates, An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibility" express an opinion that these snails do not serve much useful purpose in reef aquariums, and they are physically unable to eat algae. They go further to say they are predatory snails feeding upon worms and possibly other desirable fauna. Personally, I see little value except for a nice looking small snail that might be interesting to watch.

Every personal account that I've read is they're cute and don't seem to do any harm. Which is my personal account.